engine fail

well, what i thought was water in the gas tank, then the engine flooding, turns out to be a wiring problem of some sorts. the rb20 will turn over, start, but then when the key is put into the run position, it promptly shuts off. what could be causing this?

ingnition barrel

ignition barrel? you think that would do it? this was an intermittent problem before. like, the car would just run rough, backfire, then finally die. it would start up after a little bit of turning it over. now though, nothing.

needs more ls1 swap LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

lmao, man, i wish. k, well, it’s not the cylinder. i just metered it, and the voltage seems to be going where it needs to. is there a relay that may cause this?

cause the exact same thing happened on my honda i had to bridge an external wire from the barrell to a switch, and it worked for the rest ofthe cars life

yeah, i don’t think it’s the barrel though. i get voltage on all the leads except one in the run position, and only in the one lead in the start position.

ughhh, ok, so it works, and then it doesn’t. the only way it seems to run consistently is if the key is held in the start position.(i have a push button start, and the starter is on it, not the key) it will run in the “run” position sometimes, but only till the engine is warmed up it seems. FML

ignition, check your ignitor, or your coil(s)

how can i check the ignitor? or my coils? preferably without taking the top intake off the motor again. i mean, it’s a pain in the ass, and it’s -25 without the windchill up here today

I’d re-check all your wiring for the push button starter.

the push button is just an open close switch, and should have nothing to do with it. i took the car out yesterday and it started chugging like it was gonna die out again, so i just got pissed and took her to the higher RPM’s. punching the gas, keeping her in a lower gear, and it seemed to work whatever it was out of the system. untill i got to the store.

when i came out to start it again, same thing as before, had to drive it for 15 minutes with the key held in the “start” position. not easy with a manual tranny. after a while i started letting go of the key while i was driving, and it took a few times of it dying before it seemed to stay running. it’s wierd.

and it’s kinda starting to piss me off. why will it only do this once it’s getting warmed up? cold, it runs fine. warm, well, it dies.WTF?

ok, so it seems like it is a fueling problem after all, as it leans out and starts running rough sometimes, but when i put the pedal down and start accelerating, it goes back to the normal state of things(usually over 3K RPM) i’m thinking a relay maybe? does anybody have ANY ideas?

when you drive it with the key held in the start position, is the starter engaged?

You could have a spark plug that’s cracked and arcing to the block. Check your plugs and look for any discoloration in the ceramic.
And ya, don’t drive your car in Start unless you want to replace your starter and some fried wires and a fuse.

no, the starter is only off my push button start.

the problem seems to be gone. well, for now anyways.

Ok, things are clearing up a bit. Sounds like you’re losing a 12V source somewhere. Find out where you need switch (Ignition ON) power to your ECU and jump the source from a circuit that you know works, or straight from the battery, with a 15amp fuse.