I'm this close to buying a Mac :picard:

Just a quick rundown of my PC issues.

-About 2 weeks ago, my computer froze when I was out of the room. I came in and everything was on screen, but frozen. I restarted it (with the button, 3 finger salute did nothing) and when it went to start-up, it froze mid way through the Windows XP progress screen and restarted itself.

When I tried safe mode, it would get to a particular process, and do the same thing.

I figured I’d repair the XP install, put in the CR, and load it up. I try recovery console, and get nothing (meaning it doesn’t find any XP installs). I try this a few more times to no avail.

I notice that the CPU fan isn’t spinning. I restart w/ the fan alarm turned on in the BIOS and hear the alarm. I replace the stock intel cooler with a nice aftermarket unit.

I restart, and get the same. I swap HDs, and get a similar behavior. I try and install XP on that CD, it seems to make it through the install, but when I go to load XP, it is in its reboot mode again.

I check the power supply (with tester) and it comes back fine.
I disconnect all of the drives (except the HDD), same thing.
I pull 1 (of 2) sticks of RAM, same thing.
I pull the other stick and put the first back in, same thing.

Is it possible/likely that I am either looking at (yet another) dead Mobo or Processor? Any way to figure it out w/out buying more new stuff willy nilly? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

I hate computers.

hang ups and shit like that are usually hardware or driver related…

See if there is a BIOS update to the MB and flash it.

Pull both sticks of ram, swap and reseat.

Pull Video card and reseat.

Did the ram game again, and the Vid Card, tried on board video too, no real help.

Why would it get all retardo mid life on me?

There is a new BIOS, however, I don’t have a floppy drive to load any BIOS on to. Can I do it with a USB drive? Mobo is a GA-965P-S3.

Tried again, reset everything, only hooked up the single HDD and DVD drive, 1 stick of ram. I can see a flash of a BSOD some times after the Windows XP screen prior to going back to the BIOS.

What signs would indicate I blew up my processor? Would it be visual? Would you expect the startup and system install to get as far as it does?

Chances are if the proc was toast (In most) cases it would not get even that far. Granted this isn’t 100% but it’s damned hard to kill most modern procs.

Some basic questions:

When you installed the fan did you use thermal paste, or did it have tape?
Did you clean the surface of the CPU prior?
What temp is it running at in the BIOS after it’s on for awhile?
If thermal paste was used how much did you use?

At this point I’d suggest running diagnostics once it’s verified that is okay.

http://www.memtest.org/

This a free memory diagnostic, granted it’s memory it can be used to determine CPU, and motherboard issues as well based on the manner errors are provided.

If no errors occur it could be a possibility some data may have been damaged or improperly written or that there is another hardware problem present (Based on the fact you can’t properly install. In which case some different and more complete diagnostics might be able to pinpoint the issue.

Hrm, odd.

So, I tried again, reformated the spare drive, and installed a fresh copy of XP. So far, so good?

Am going to try pluging in original drive and see if I can get it to come up. Any way to set up a SATA drive as a Slave? Just connect it to the SATA II hole?

If Windows doesn’t find the drive, what options do I have to restoring the boot info? See: http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41697

Whenever I have the second SATA drive plugged in, the system won’t start windows. I’m assuming I’m probably going to have to put it in an external enclosure and start windows, then try and find the drive?

Take that back, I let it sit, and now it is at the XP screen, progressing… probably trying to read the second drive and not liking it? What to do?

Just sits there, nothing happens. I’m guessing I need an external SATA enclosure to give this a whirl. I tried creating a bootable USB drive w/ a HDPartition Recovery tool on it but that didn’t work, didn’t boot.

HIREMS BOOT DISK!!!

put basic dos files on the usb and try to boot to a command prompt.
Make sure USB boot is enabled in bios

I couldn’t find it anywhere to DL, and then it has like 230483208 apps on it. Where to start?

:kiss:

well i can get it to ya, there’s all types of utilities on it to fix whatever problem your having.

I can also send the complete idiots guide on hardware repair also :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Har har! I managed to finger it out without the help of all the self proclaimed geniuses on the internet.:picard:

I’m going to pick up a external enclosure tomorrow. Send me a Pm about hickram of vickram or hiram or whoever.

Or…

Buy a mac?

Like a single 2.0 G5 off ebay. Get a 17" studio display… Ahh yes…

Hiren’s Boot Disk <3

Though I’ve had issues with the latest on running some apps that shouldn’t be run in protected mode.

I had a meltdown of my PC a couple years and went mac. Never going back.

If its just the HD those are stupid cheap. Replace it and when you go for a system upgrade in the future consider the Mac. I bought a MacBook a few months back and it rocks.

Its the data I want back :cjerk: