In need of roofer!!!

I am looking to purchase a house in Dormont. My last concern before I purchase it is the roof. I wanted to see if any roofer could come out in the next few days to take a look at the roof and give me there honest opinion. The roof is an asphalt roof with tar paper rolled over it, no leaks or anything. The kicker is it has asbestos in it, so if it needs replaces its quite expensive to get the asbestos removed too.

please let me know if you can help! thanks

tom the roofer?

did you guys get a home inspection?

dude i would try and drop the price of the house so you can get the roof replaced or make the current owner remove the asbestos and put on a new roof before i bought it.

yes we got a home inspection, and got it and the guy was very meticulous and found quite a few things that needed addressed. Then the dormont inspector came in and inspected the house and property. He made a few requirements to sell the house all that went in our favor. We got a new cement parking pad and all kinds of new stuff. So everything is good with the house. Only part that is shaky is the roof, since its old and it does have aspestos in it.

The seller just faxed me a quote for the roof, 9100 dollars for new roof and removal of asbestos. And the seller agreed to give us 5000 dollars at closing to help replace the roof. So we just wanted to see if anyone on here could take a look at it for a second outside opinion. we have a quote from a roofer here saying it does not need replaced. And we were in the house yesterday and saw no leaks or anything, so it should be cool. Just trying to double check everything.

john,u are looking at alot of money to replace seeing is hoe it has asbestos man,and i do mean ALOT of money!

9100 dollars to be exact… have quote in my hand!

when the roof does need replaced; just rent a dumpster, fill it with the asbestos, then fill the rest with dirt and rock. Noone will ever know. :smiley:

call pavlick roofong,they are out of south hills and are reasonable as well as grade A work.

I think its going to be one of those, if its not broke don’t fix it deal… nothing is wrong with it now, so might as well just take the money set it aside and then just wait.

that would be what I would do. just collect a little interest on the 5k and keep it for the future.

exactly… right now just thinking about throwing it into paypal and earning that 4.78%

That’s what I’d do. Do all the demo work yourself and then have a pro roofer come in and install the new materials after you strip off all the bad stuff. The new roof plus the dumpster rental shouldn’t exceed $5000 unless you go with an expensive roofing material like slate.

is it a flat roof?

dang, I didn’t know paypal earned 4.78%! Is that just for a business rate or something?

I’m closing on a house in Brentwood in august. It has a slate roof. The inspection is Saturday. After all of the rain, we should be able to tell if anything leaks.

espostos clean up is very expensive GET YOUR OWN ESTIMATE!!

Tom the Roofer for the win

just got another estimate from a national aspestos company, for the size of the roof 1500 for removal of espestos.

Sinister, have you ever dealt with aspestos removal? Or are you just saying its expensive from what you heard?

cant you die from espestos?

it’s asbestos and it does get really really nasty.

lol ‘espostos’

guess that is like a taco dip or salsa

asbestos removal is no joke.

I’d do what you said, take the 5K let it make a little interest and when the roof craps out, then replace it! :slight_smile: