Roofer specializing in slate.

With the storms yesterday I noticed some areas on my roof that will require some attention. Some water is getting into the attic but it’s not enough to reach the ceilings yet, and it’s more like seeping through the shingles in a couple of spots during a normal rain.

I would like to patch the 2 spots making it weather tight again, and staying with slate as long as possible. House was built around 1920 and we would like to keep certain things as original as possible.

House is located in Brentwood in the south hills. If there are any roofers out there that would be able to work up a price for me and give me some advice on the situation, I would appreciate it. I thought there was a guy on here who’s screen name was “tom the roofer” or something.

Again, any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

chris

ninja edit: I’m not sure how many square I’m looking at, but I don’t believe it’s that many. It’s a smaller house and doesn’t have a complicated roof at all.

i don’t know anybody in particular that is a roofer but our neighbor across the street knows of a guy i do believe . i’ll check in with him to get a name and contact info. I also live in brentwood on munsey ave which runs parallel to marylea. i’m right next to the borough building. anyhow our roof is also slate and was redone a few years back and i have some small sized slate rock in the back yard…it maybe what you’re looking for and you can have it if it makes the job a little cheaper.

dude, that would be awesome! The slate I mean. Thanks a bunch!

I contacted Slateworks and have heard they do really good work, but aren’t cheap. He’s coming out next week to look at it, but I would like to get another quote or two also.

p.s. I’m on greenlee, and while being a little closer to carrick than I would like, we have no complaints. Friendly town and we have nice neighbors!

Fresh is my next door neighbor…I have a slate roof also, and I had a quote on partial replacement, near 40K!!! Slate is not cheap! Luckily mine doesn’t leak (it’s 70yrs old) and as long as I keep up replacing tiles as they fall off, I should be fine. Keep us posted as to how yours goes, and what it costs you, so I can be prepared.

Pm tomtheroofer on here…if he can’t help he might know someone

ill call my old boss and see if he knows anyone in your area. I have only done one slate roof before, so I cant really help on suggestions.

Call sapp roofing

Alfords Home Remodeling
No Job’s Too Small
412-403-0693
Speak to Kenneth
Local Contractor With More Than Reasonable Pricing

whitehall here slate also and damn didnt know that many people in the area…

so what’s the latest news on your quotes? you’re still welcome to the pile of slate i have but it’s not much. are you doing the entire roof or just a small portion? i have enough for a pretty small area but hey if it helps it helps.

well, I called slateworks. guy is supposed to come out today or tomorrow. Considering I haven’t heard from him yet, looks like it will be tomorrow at the earliest. Have to call him back now.

Called Bell Industries on a recommendation from someone on the racepa.com board. Bell is supposed to be calling me back to schedule a time for an estimate. Unfortunately the person who gave me the recommendation only works on stuff in his area north of the city. Small operation that has 30+ years of experience. Can’t blame him for not wanting to cross the rivers if he has enough work in the north hills but it still sucks. Talking to him on the phone, he really knew his stuff.

So then I called cassady / pierce construction supply on a tip from Tom the roofer on this board. They were more than willing to help me find someone, but the number they gave me for a guy in the area has been disconnected. Argh!

So I’m still pretty much in the same boat as when I started this thread. I’m going to finish up some stuff here at work, then get back on the horn to see when I can get someone out to look at it.

chris

word…let us know how it goes. good luck!