Innovative Tuning Drag Subaru (Jasv11) 2011 - 1st test 9.7 at 25 psi

http://innovativetuning.com/images/uploads/temp/logo332px.jpg

[LEFT]Last year our wonderful customer Jason and our crew built a Subaru to be 10 second capable in the quarter mile. He wanted mid 10s consistently and to run a low ten at some point during the year.

We got the car together, I tuned it, and his first pass was a mid 10, followed by a low ten later that night. His second time at the track he went 9.9.

For 2011 he wanted to go a little faster, run more 9.9s and get a 9.7 at some point during the year.

We made a few changes this year, I retuned the car a few days ago and tonight we went to the track with Jason and his family. For the first pass of the year I backed the tune off, lowered the boost, he gave it a soft launch, and ran a 10.2 pass.

For the second pass I turned the boost up to 22-25.5 psi depending on the gear, put the timing closer to where it makes full power, and Jason gave the car a normal drag launch using launch control. This netted a 9.7 pass.

A lot of people struggle to achieve goals like this, break countless parts and spend huge sums over months or years in the pursuit of said goals. To achieve these goals two years in a row the first time out with the car speaks volumes about our team at Innovative Tuning, Jason’s commitment to the project, us, and his driving.

With the year’s goal achieved so easily again, we’re going to enjoy this for a bit, but the tune has room in it, we can run a good amount more power as we turn up the boost, and Jason only has two passes down the strip on the year so he’s just getting settled back into the car. His 9.77 second 1/4 mile pass which further solidifies his crown as the quickest and fastest Subaru in Canada won’t be the pinnacle for this car for 2011.

I’ll start uploading the video before heading home for the night so it should be up around lunchtime. I took HD video in car and a rear suspension view.

For now, here’s the timeslip for the 9.77 second pass: (I’ll have Jason scan this or take a better picture than I did so it’s easier to read)

[/LEFT]

Congrats Mike that is really impressive. I was anxious to hear the results ever since you mentioned the other day you guys were running it Friday. I had to rep Subaru at the foot race tonight lol or else I would have came.

Any manual trans car in the 9s or quicker is impressive to me and it really does take driver skill. :tup:

Impresive, that car is moving

Nice work :tup:

Nice :tup:

Add to the list? http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?220011

Dang that’s fast. Way to go guys, I can’t imagine what that feels like in a car.

Superloudsti would some how manage to make this car run a 13.7

i seen the car last night, nice job and good driver

Congrats!

Thanks everyone! HD video is up. Go full screen by clicking the outward pointing arrows at the bottom right of the video toolbar when it loads and crank it up.

I didn’t expect the car to go that fast on the first pass and it got into the rev limiter at the end of the track.
I raised the limiter for the second pass so it didn’t hit it again, but there was a single misfire which you can hear in the middle of the gear. Hopefully it will be taken care of with a fresh set of plugs. Otherwise it may be time to upgrade the bone stock ignition system and we already have a solution for this.

This continues to be a budget build compared to the other 9 second Subarus around the world so Jason is doing things as he has to and budget allows. In the video you can see that his 400 dollar ebay coilovers are doing a very poor job of controlling wheel movement and it’s hurting the performance of the car. When budget allows I’d like to see those upgraded and I took the rear suspension video to illustrate how much of an issue poor rebound damping is.

What could improve on the suspension do you think? The video’s don’t really show any wheel spin, and his short times are really good.

That car boogies right down the track!

If the rear tires stayed on the ground that would be a start…lol. The coilovers are doing a terrible job of controlling wheel travel. It looks like there’s no rebound damping to speak of. You get what you pay for and I just wanted the video to confirm that they’re as bad as I knew they’d be. For 400 bucks they’re are a lot lighter than the stock ones so I understand why he bought them. It’s just time to put something decent on.

i was going to say from the vids that it looks like some suspension tweeks should get that time down even further

congrats!

:clap:

FASTER! The HD video I took yesterday at the Subaru Shootout is up. Watch in full screen so it doesn’t crop. There will be more video later in the week too.

Last night we went back to the track to confirm the ignition system upgrade resolved the misfire. Jason has been doing a great job driving, but the first pass of the night you’re just getting settled in the car so it wasn’t his best. The car still went 9.7 at 142 mph without a hint of a hiccup or misfire at 25 psi max. Making sure the misfire was gone was the main reason for this test session.

The second run I turned the boost up and Jason did the sweetest Subaru AWD burnout I’ve seen. The log shows the car sitting at 9000 RPM on the limiter the whole time. I believe Jason’s wife took outside video. Here’s what I got from the GoPros in the car and on the rear window for now:

Unfortunately the clip on the cage that holds the TO bearing to the pressure plate failed so the clutch couldn’t be actuated and we had to call it a night. It’s the same part that fails on Evos so I’m not terribly surprised, but it’s the first time it’s happened on a Subaru we’ve built.

Last night we went back to the track to confirm the ignition system upgrade resolved the misfire. Jason has been doing a great job driving, but the first pass of the night you’re just getting settled in the car so it wasn’t his best. The car still went 9.7 at 142 mph without a hint of a hiccup or misfire at 25 psi max. Making sure the misfire was gone was the main reason for this test session.

The second run I turned the boost up and Jason did the sweetest Subaru AWD burnout I’ve seen. The log shows the car sitting at 9000 RPM on the limiter the whole time. I believe Jason’s wife took outside video. Here’s what I got from the GoPros in the car and on the rear window for now:
HD Subaru Burnout on Vimeo

Unfortunately the clip on the cage that holds the TO bearing to the pressure plate failed so the clutch couldn’t be actuated and we had to call it a night.

Here’s an iphone video of the burnout from outside. The sound is much better on this:
[video]http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/blog/08.11/Burnout8.5.11Cell.mp4[/video]

What exactly are you turning the boost up to?

The second pass would have been around 27-28 psi. Because the car is exceeding the customer’s goals again there’s no plan to run lots of boost at the moment. He said at the end of the season when it cools off some we’ll turn it up.

HAHA, the burnout exterior video is AWESOME! Car sounds insane.