Inspection question

Ok so I should be getting my car back within a week or so. I will need an inspection. I heard that some places will scan the bar code by the VIN on the car that needs to be inspected, but a different car is actually hooked up to the machine and tested. Has anybody seen/heard of this? Feel free to pm with any details. I would like to figure out what I will need to do soon. Thanks.

ur cars done? sweet, last time i saw it it was sitting lol

Hey sweet post. Lets not get off topic with your dumbass remarks. Thanks.Bye.

Don’t worry about Midge, he had a train to catch.

As for the inspection stuff, no shop will do what you are asking, because of the liability it ensues. Inspection techs have to sign their names on every inspection, and serious fines will happen if Albany comes to investigate. A better idea would be to get a relationship with a shop, and maybe do a “test run” so you can see exactly where you may fail, and then try to come up with a solution for passing, unless your car is too far gone as far as mods are concerned. Anything spefic you are trying to fix/avoid?

If you have a hookup, that’s one thing, and if so, I wouldn’t be broadcasting it all over the internet. :shrug:

yea to falsify inspection like that is a serious fine. i had a tech that used ot work for me 5000 doolar fine by the state for not looking for a catlytic convertor

yea, that would be hugely illegal and should definitely not be discussed on an open forum…

:lol:

Since the goverment did not require cars to have the VIN in the computer…up untill recently…the NYS computer does not check the VIN against the car you hook up…

For instance if you have 1998 Mustang that won’t pass and you hooked up another say hrmm Ford contour…and entered the VIN for the stang in the computer…it will pass…

But what do I know

I have heard of a couple shops that dont give a fuck, i dont know which ones but i hear things.

100% true… but now you’ve gotta find a shop willing to do that for some1 they dont know

this is only for obdII cars right? Cause I’ve never had a vin scanned, but all my cars are obdI

I am not saying i have a hookup. I just heard this what some people have done. I was j\w if anybody else heard about it as well.

actually i have an obd1 car and they still scaned me when i did an inspection…

Kennedy’s does tuning for legit OBDII compliance if it’s a car he has software for.

No tuning is done with obdI

If it’s OBD1 it should be no problem getting it inspected.

its obd1 conveted in an obd II car

Yeah, how would they handle an inspection with an OBD1 conversion? Or is it just flat out refused.

unpossible

they might have scanned your registration, but it wouldnt have been plugged into NYS…

This is why I love having a non-computer car.

You are going to have a problem. If it’s a '96 or later to be legitimate it will need the OBDII read. A hookup is definitely needed as this is going to be complicated and illegal. If anyone has a hookup, they should make contact via PM or better yet, by phone. I don’t know the extent to which “big brother is watching” and wouldn’t want to be the test case for finding out.