installed new turbo but acting weird

i just installed a T2540R turbo and i get just over 15 of vacume but when i try to drive it it spoils and builds boost but car barely moves it barely goes over 20km/h but can boost all the way up to 10lbs any ideas on whats goin on??

thanx
dan

more info needed. the car wont accelerate? the rpms go up but speed doesnt increase? explain please. vaccum should read 20 at idle

nope theres no clutch slipping or anything its weird like it will boost but the rpms slowly climb and my speed increses slowly and you can here the turbo screaming and my car backfires alot

what kind of ECU/fuel compensation are you running?

The amount of info you provided is staggering.

major boost leak?

^LOL.

I had a problem SORT OF like that. My waste gate actuator was pooched, kept dumping all the spooled boost after a “spirited” run through the gears and trying to run through them again.

I don’t know if that helps. I could definetly hear the dumping and you make no mention of that…

sorry bout the lack of info i have a tomei tuned ECU and i have an AFC and running stock MAF and injectors and i dunno but at idle it kinda made a noise like when u let of the gas from boosting but when drivin it spools up to like 10lbs but car doesnt go at all and it backfires alot when i let go of the gas and the turbo is real loud i was thinkin mayb the actuator needed adjusting to because it is an adjustible actuator but i dunno if that would help

hopefully this info will help

thanx
dan

backfiring means you’re running rich, maybe remove the afc or reset it… I’ve heard sometimes those types of devices screw up and cause all sorts of weird shit

but not moving might be mechanical, your clutch could be slipping like it’s not fully engaged, try readjusting the pedal and rebleeding the system to rule that out

vacuum level at idle can vary for lots of reasons, 15hg isn’t bad, a leakdown test will show what’s the source(s) but it’s still not bad

Did the car run fine with the ECU and AFC before?
What is the Tomei ECU set up to run?
By not moving do you mean its boosting but not making any power?
Does the car drive fine during cruising (no boost?)

You could be running extremely rich or lean and therefore the car isnt making any power at all. Sounds like a tuning issue to me more than anything.

Backfiring doesnt necessarily mean he is running rich it can be lean also.

i dunno what the ECU is tuned for and the car ran fine b4 with the ECU and everything i’ve only changed the turbo and the clutch doesnt slip at all its probably just running to lean or rich do u think adding the Z32 MAF would help??

hey i just found to big VAC leaks one where the hot pipe connects to the turbo and one from the turbo to the elbow off the turbo would this by any chance cause my lack in throttle response and sluggishness on the road??

Yes it would make your car “sputter”.

when my car did that my valve seals were completly shot
… check your compression

I don’t get why have a tuned ECU + AFC with stock MAFS and injectors?

There lies half the problem. Not knowing what your ECU is tuned for means you need to correct the problems via the AFC when all you should really do is run a stock ECU.

the ECU i bought was because i knew i was gettin more power sooner and the AFC because my car was running rich so i could adjust my air fuel ratio and would the big vacume leak cause my car to be that sluggish and not get over 20km/h

when you put this “new” turbo on… did you also use a “new” gasket between the manifold and turbo ? or did you try to re-use the old one ?

if you tried to re-use the old one then I would guess its toast and once boost builds you getting one hell of a leak (would cause the car to be sluggish while trying to boost)

^hahaha, in this scenario, it would boost in neutral with no load, but as soon as you have load it will sputter and cough…

I’d say go over your install; everything you touched basically.

Fix the vacuum leaks first and foremost, and look for others.

If your RPM’s are rising while you’re trying to accelerate but your speed is not increasing and it feels weird, that could be your clutch slipping as aforementioned.

Might want to check and make sure your S-AFC settings have not reset somehow and that they are what they should be.

Could also be something like oil in the MAF or just a bad electrical MAF connection.

Good luck.

ya i used a new gasket goin from the manifold to the turbo but i do build boost at idle like alot of boost and it builds boost fast when i try to drive it and i think im running the SOHC MAF or whitch ever one is needed to run the SR i’ll try swaping it with my girls SOHC 240 and see what happens but i saw the thing about building boost at idle and i am doin that but i did use a new gasket so i dunno whats goin on?? oh and also after running my car at idle for about 5-10 min my headers were glowing read hot