Insurance questions... hail storm related.

I went and got an estimate on damage to the car which is approx 4800 worth. The worst areas are the hood and quarter panels. The body shop said that they’re replacing the hood and will have to repaint part of the car, obviously as well as fixing the quarter panels, trunk lid, roof, etc Talking with my mother about it (she’s my insurance agent) I was wondering if I can just have those 2 things fixed (hood and paint work), and try fixing the roof and trunk lid myself and put the rest of the cash towards my car loan to pay if off that much sooner. From what she understood, they can only cut the check to the shop that’s doing the repairs. Is this true? If so, can they cut me a refund on the rest of the unused $$$, or is this illegal (you never know I guess)? has anyone ever been through this before? Last time my car got wrecked, the insurance company pretty much just gave me a check for $ X amount, but apparently this is a different kind of coverage. Any ideas?

edit:sorry for the run on… firefox 3 apparently doesn’t like spaces on these forms

have them make the check out to you because you aren’t sure where you are going to take it yet

not sure on the insurance aspect, but how the hell do you plan on fixing the roof yourself? It looked pretty bad in your cell pic of the hood.

well, I’m going to try the dry ice method. If that doesn’t work, I have a dent puller I got as a gift like 4 years ago I’m going to try. The dents of the roof, surprisingly, aren’t nearly as bad as the hood, fenders and trunk lid

if all that fails, a good friend of mine’s little brother took auto body in college. He does real good work and I’m sure he’d be able help me out if I throw some cash his way

re…

But long story short, if you have full coverage, they will cut the check to the shop because the car is collateral, they are not going to allow you to “fix” it on your own and then continue to insure the vehicle for full value. If you douched out and just took the check, their collateral isn’t worth very much.

Insurance Fraud:101

that’s the answer I was looking for, thanks for the info

time to start shopping for new parts (hoods) then

I had my check cut to myself and ford(lease holder) when my focus was wrecked.

My company always sends the check to me.

Even when I hit the dear, they sent me a check for $12,000. It cost more then that though so I had to call them and get them to send more, which they did.

well, just got done with the adjuster. They just signed the check to me.

5200 in damage, more than the shop quoted me at. Now to get her fixed

holy shit thats alot of damage.

:tup: Good luck steveo.

thanks man

u gunna reply to your pm too?

sorry about that kevin, will respond shortly

damm, that would have totaled my car

Wow no shit.

If it were my deal, I would hold onto that 5200, and see if you can sell the car how it is to get enough money for the payoff, and come out with the car paid off, and the car sold to someone on ebay or whatever.

Bringing my wife’s 2008 Malibu in today for an estimate. Still haven’t decided where I am bringing it to get repaired. Hoping I get a check cut to me and then I’ll handle it from there.

Will post the magic number when I get back.

Adjuster quoted $1800 on the wagon, sounds like this might be the beginning of some fun times.

well, my deductible is 1K and I do want to fix it. I can’t take all the dents on it. I saw DJNick at mickey rats over the weekend and he said to bring it by sometime for him to take a look at :tup: So maybe he’ll be able to fix some of it cheaper than a shop would.

we shall see

good luck Joe… let us know how it turns out

good deal fuzzy :tup: new turbo?

$2942 total.

Anyone recommend a collision shop. I’m not getting everything fixed on the list though.

carruba? lol

Ferber Automotive in Angola does top notch work. Give them a call.