Insurance Claim Question

A few weeks back I was involved in a 5 car accident. Long story short a dumb girl pulled out into on coming traffic and caused a mess. I made out with the least damage. Only a small dent on my truck and a pushed in bumper with a scuff on it.

I filed a claim with the girl’s insurance since she was the one responsible for the accident as per the police report. I took it in to her insurance and got a quote for XXX amount of dollars to fix my truck.

Honestly the bumper would easily be buffed out. As far as it being pushed in only a car nut would really realize it and the dent once again would be easily knocked out. So for a few hours of work I could fix the truck myself.

They will be sending me a check once it gets all processed. Can I just keep this check and do the work myself or will her insurance company (Allstate) want proof I had it fixed. I did not file with my insurance at all and there still is a loan out on my truck.

What are your thoughts?

just say you havent decided on a shop to fix it yet, have them mail the check to you, keep the funds and call it a day :tup:

insurance… FRAAAUUUDDDDDDDDDDDD?

Yes you can. The insurance company is responsible for compensating you for the damages, putting you and your car in the same condition it was before the accident. They could care less if you actually fix your car.

:word:

Thanks for the input so far. I defanitly don’t want to commit insurance fraud.

if there is a lien on the truck, the check my be made out to them&you.

It is not Fraud to keep the check. They need to give you compensation equal in the amount need to restore your vehicle in the condition it was. Compensation is money, no where does it say you have to use that money to fix your car. (It just happens to be the amount needed to fix said car.)

Keep the money and enjoy.

:snky: did you have any injuries?

No injuries to anyone amazingly.

ok carry on

:tup: I pocketed the money from my last two fender benders (100% other drivers fault) and bought another car :stuck_out_tongue:

Its only fraud if you claim there is damage that there isnt, or if it was damage prior to the claim. But the ins co would have to have a way to prove it was already there.

I def only claimed the damage that was cause by the accident so I should be all set then. My truck is far from a show car so it has its battle scars already.