Intercooler Piping....

you can always tack weld with MIG then take it and have it TIG welded. the time consuming part is fitting it up

There need not be any debate over theories of intercooler piping. My logic is undenyable. We where speakin in general terms before, but to elaborate more specifically: Insulation of intercooler piping in areas that the ambient, and or radiant, temps would be greater than that of the charge in the pipe would be beneficial. Any other areas, you are being counter productive. On the whole, your charge piping would be more effecient made out of aluminum. If you wanted to get an engineer involved, and fuck everything up, you could make a very extravagent and elaborate charge piping system, that would maybe net you 1hp.

Stainless can be MIGed, but few locals stock stainless MIG wire. MIGing with ER70 wire is possible, but longevity will be an issue. We use TIG for all stainless. I only backpurge for headers though. It is the only place that nessitates its. Else where is nice to do, but an unneeded expence. Just make sure there are no “sugar” crystals that are going to come loose into your engine.

so, you do need special stainless wire for the mig? I can’t even remember what I have… like regular-old mig wire, whatever it is… i can look tomorrow.

If i have to buy wire, can I just get a lil spool of it for whenever I need it?

helpful stuff:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/selectingmig.asp

also, be careful with the whole flux core vs. gas shielded thing. flux core wire will work in a gas shielded mig welder, but it’s messy as all hell. and mind the wire size, make sure you check out what’ll fit your welder.

this stuff will work for stainless:
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/71TGS0xx02.html

this is good for aluminum:
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/40430xx01.html

I.E. the underhood of an alltrac…agreed.

I was just fuckin with ya.

I need to replace my mild steel pipes with some nice stainless ones. So who wants to do it?? huh huh???

oh and, I wouldn’t use the E71T for stainless. Use the 308.

jeff at first try did a awsome job on my intercooler pipiing for my turbo ta

swing down and take a look its all on the huakana shelf

ready to be installed

nice, good info up there!

So the general consencis about wrapping is to NOT do it?

For radiant heat, make an air gap blocker. For ambient heat, wrap.

I run all aluminum

what cars in ur avatar?:kekegay: thanks for the help last week:bigthumb:

Its some dudes that I stotle off of supraforums… I dont really own a supra, just a rod as a paper weight, you should try one out of the 1st LS1… they work great!

No problem dude… im up for it all over again, hopefully I can paint the next car, so at least I can put my name on it!

so, another question…

I have a cool side charge pipe going past the manifold… do you wrap the header? wrap the charge pipe? both? make a ghey heat sheild?

ttt hoes

well looks like youll never finish it and end up selling the car.

listen up h8tr… its almost done, my couplers will be in tomorra!

lol… Ill come check it out sometime…

ya… i’ll probalby still be weaving my own heat wrap out of egyption camel hair