Intercooler Piping....

Does the MATERIAL really matter when setting up a FMIC? I just wondered what anyone has used in the past.

Aluminium vs. steel?

thick vs. thin?

aluminum is lighter and doesn’t need painted.
steel usually seems more available and it’s easier to weld for most.

yeah, count on having to weld on flanges/nipples for the BOV and various air or vacuum lines. stainless is easier to weld unless you’ve got a tig welder or are really good at mig welding aluminum.

What matters to you? Weight? Cost? Potential heat exchange?

Weight- Aluminum takes the win
Cost- Mild steel takes
Heat exchance- Aluminum

Stainless is about middle road for any way you look at it, and a very good choice.

I used 304 series stainless.

i used stainless

stainless FTW, i stock most of it. bang for the buck i don’t think it can be beat

As much as I’d like to be conserned about the weight, I’m really not. I’ll just work on making more HP.

See, i would like to go aluminum, but I have no idea where you get it. I can get it, but the shit is like 11ga… that its just too heavy.

I can TIG stainless or aluminum affordably for you if you need it. Just can’t go too thick on the aluminum due to the amperage limitations from the breaker on my 220 line.

Intercooler piping though would be no problem. As far as my opinion goes, I’d go with stainless piping. Easier to source your flanges versus aluminum and still stays nice over time. Plus its a better insulator than mild steel.

I have some custom stainless turbo manifolds I’ve made I can show you if you wanna see my welds ahead of time. Most of the stainless welds I have seen done from locals were WAY too hot, and looked like garbage. Just offerin my assistance is all.

Insulation=bad.

Full race, and no budget… go aluminum.

Street, and budget… Stainless.

You guys have a TIG right?

hot underhood temps, but I guess insulating the intake charge is bad.

Full race, limited run time, cooldown time, low weight…go aluminum=agree

Street, very high underhood temps, extended run time, insulation BAD=disagree

To each his own though…what did Smokey Yunick know anyway.

I dont have a tig.

and the under hood temps of the alltrac are HOT :frowning:

i used stainless, it works good you dont need to tig you can use a mig and it works fine

so where do you get the sections?

let me know what you need, i have a bunch but need to restock some items,but getting more in shortly

I’ll have to stop by and see what you have…

Smokey Yunick knew alot… Smart ass.

1st try is the bomb for having some stainless chillen on ice.

well, i have noticed in fayette county the rice cars usually use duck tape and pvc pipe with a little glue…

Correct, I mean not that it is necessary to cite that Smokey Yunick simply reinforced what the ideal gas law already states, but both entities clearly show the desire to isolate, as well as insulate the intake charge.

How effective is your intercooler core, when you have several feet of fire hot “cold side” piping? Underhood temps on the alltrac can easily exceed 250 degrees, while intake temps exiting an effective core should be well below that. I personally see the need to isolate and insulate that intake charge in a street driven vehicle, which is why I often advise of stainless.

Not being a smart ass by the way, just simply stating my perspective on the issue.

Gearhead…like someone else stated you can certainly MIG weld stainless, but only those with exceptional MIG skills can properly penetrate, while at the same time not overheat stainless. TIG is certainly superior vs. anything but the most skilled MIG welded stainless. Most of the reason being, if you look at the majorities stainless MIG welds on the inside…it’s plain garbage. No inert gas protection so the weld is HIGHLY contaminated. Also, general MIG welders/hobbyist underclean by FAR, not only allowing contaminants to enter the weld, but for the machine and collet to add to the contamination.

Plus TIG is just so damn good looking :cool:

well, hopefully this week i’ll get the alltrac to the garage, get the FMIC mounted up and then look for what bends I need… then off to jeff’s :smiley:

I’ll try to mig it, as long as I can get a couple practice welds under my belt, i’m ususally good to go.