Interesting video on new Muslims

Well with constant islamophobia and the recent events I thought this was interesting, I became muslim few years ago on my own, although I have a very diverse and mixed background of my own. I saw these videos today and found them very interesting for muslims and non muslims alike and well since some of you are my friends and some well I don’t know you but either way I repsect you, I thought I’d share it with you. I know some of you have misconceptions and prejudices and whatnot, but I decided to share it anyawys.

New muslims in UK including Yvonne Ridley and her family:
http://turntoislam.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126

Yvonne Ridley interview (the feminist activist and British journalist who was captured by the taleban and eventually became muslim her story and interview):
http://turntoislam.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111&Itemid=27

cliffs?

I still think the pressure put on women to wear the full hijab is just straight out ridiculous.

Same goes for other religion where you have to meet certain
expectations on outfit and such.

That’s why I hate religion. It’s nothing but a cult where the motto is “Do this or else”.

My mother converted to islam on her own as well and put on the hijab on her own back in 2004 without anyone telling her anything or forcing her anything. Yvone actually kind of adresses this too in her interview.

This is widely false to say, just how women in France were banned from wearing hijab, they are being forced not to wear the hijab, not forced to wear it. They want to wear it on their own. But none the less. Everyone has a right to their opinion. And hence, women in France and across the world who choose to wear the hijab are fighint for their right and wishing to stop the oppression and discrimination in France and other places who have done this or are planning to this (ban hijab, any islamic dress, etc…). However sorry to tell you bro, but my mom on her own chose to wear the hijab when she understood it on her own :slight_smile: No force or anything.

Anywho, everyone has prejudices but should have an open mind and watch these :slight_smile:

Im aware some people choose to wear this. I just think it’s stupid.

Does it have something to do with women being insecure about their
external beauty?

Oh and they are wearing it for their religion. Not because they just feel like it.

Well you should listen to a women who wears it out of her choice and perhaps understand it a little more. I’m a man and it would be more relavent if a woman who wears it out of he rchoice speaks about it :slight_smile: Again Yvonne talks about it in her interview and she was a feminist activist and british journalist, captured by taleban, etc… hence she is an interesting person to listen to. And she still is an activist for women.

Cool, I think I’ll become Muslim

So what were you before you were muslim?

I have a mixed background, but basically christian.

Nice vid. There are way too many misconceptions of Islam out there.
Gataum, remember that 3hr long disscussion on it :?

So why’d you end up wanting to become muslim? I’m christian from birth, and I still don’t want to become a full christian, much less any other religion. Is there like a story of life changing events, or? I’m not being rude or anything, I just can’t understand why people decide to take up any religion, or change to a different one. My girlfriend was telling me how her family became christian when they came to Canada, and I still can’t understand why. Her explanation was… they started going to church b/c other ppl were, and then after awhile they decided to convert. And I was sitting there going like WTF?? I’ve been to church many times, that shit is boring as hell :lol: