Internet connection help.

so with circuit city closing my grandparents decided to buy a laptop to play with and pass the time. They just want a simple dial-up connection. I have not used a dial up connection in the longest time and of course i am the one they want to set it up… what am i going to need to do this? modem? certain wires? i just want to get someone who knows opinion before i go over there and try to figure it out. thanks.

in windows XP there is a dial up wizard you follow the instructions on it and call it a day

Vista I would assume the same thing

It should have a modem built in, if not get a modem for it. Dial up does not work with a router. Maybe scan for wireless and see if they can get free internets.

I dont even know the cost of dialup anymore but I would imagine its probably close to that of cheap broadband (DSL, TWC, FIOS).

That, and if they want an “easy to use” internet experience, i wouldnt think dial up would be it.

That being said, the only Dialup I know of that is still around here is NetZero. My Uncle had it up until ~2 yrs ago and IIRC it was $25/mo. You get a modem/router type of setup, but via phoneline (at that time)

my grandparents use netzero but they have an issue with trying to view or do anything, so when they get home from florida they are getting TWC to combo with their cable.

if they don’t have cable or do not want to pay the $100 a month bill then get them the cheapest DSL (IIRC it’s $25/month) in the long run it will save them the pain of trying to open any web sites/emails.

Dial-up from what I heard is about $10 a month via NetZero. A lot of new laptops however no longer come with modems in them. I would have them spring for at least DSL.

Basic DSL is normally about the same price as dial up, and significantly faster. I couldnt imagine using the internet on a dialup connection, it is nowhere near worth it.

DSL is probably easier to deal with as well. Plug the DSL modem in, and run ethernet to the computer. If it dosent have a ethernet port, get a cheap card for a few bucks.

basic DSL is 20 a month