internet sales tax??? WTF

just heard on the news starting today anything bought online is subject to NYS sales tax. this is bull shit. I assume this is only for new items and ebay is exempt.

HAH!!

OMG YES! WAY TO COME LATE TO THE PARTY!!

:frowning: I don’t wanna pay taxes either sigh

yeah, I never watch the news. Im always surprised when I do watch

pretty sure this went into effect like a year ago lol

Got an email from newegg a few days ago about it.

anyone have a link to the law or an article? too lazy to serach. :stuck_out_tongue:

I heard about it, but haven’t been charged yet.

Some companies, like newegg, are already charging you for it but other companies are fighting it and refusing to charge customers.

Then I am moving my business to Tigerdirect.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51345

Kevin and his “Gay” thread titles make it tough to find searching.

lol

Oh ok, I remember hearing about this a while ago and Amazon has been doing this for alot longer than a year or so.

Any company that has retail stores in NYS or affiliates in NYS and the product gets shipped to you from there, it is considered as if you bought it at the store yourself so you then have to pay NYS sales tax.

So if you were to purchase from walmart.com you would still pay the sales tax etc. because there are walmarts in ny. This isn’t new, it’s just being enforced.

Companies like amazon and Newegg use stores all over the country as their own inventory so if someone places an order, it gets shipped from the closest store that has it in stock. It’s a smart idea but now the state wants their cut.

but the state gets their cut every year anyways…since everyone files their our out of state purchases on tax returns.

Amazon has not been collection NY tax up until this law that just went into effect.

If you bought from one of their partner merchants they might have charged sales tax because those partner merchants are independent businesses. Ritz Camera is a partner merchant who is based in NYC, so if you ordered from them through Amazon you got charged sales tax.

Newegg never charged NY sales tax. I know, because I’ve ordered several thousands of dollars worth of stuff from there.

I still haven’t heard a court date for Amazon’s lawsuit against NY. Hopefully that moves forward quickly because I don’t think NY stands a chance in their case.

i better order more shit from newegg lol

and fast

???

As a result of recent changes in the State of New York Tax Law requiring certain out-of-state retailers to collect and remit sales taxes to the State of New York, we regrettably inform you that Newegg.com must begin collecting applicable state and local sales tax for all orders shipped to New York addresses on or after June 1, 2008.

Today = June 2nd in case your clock is off. :wink:

^ from a completely legal stand point…shouldn’t it be worded “on AND after June 1, 2008” ?

the way its worded…if they taxed yesterday, that means they aren’t taxing anymore.

lol ohh its off jay, really off.

i sent a drive back to them for RMA, i wonder if they can tax me on the new drive they are resending me.

LOLZ* You are correct on that but I think that’s the problem because people where not claiming. I know I don’t…