intro

Hi all just joined and hoping to share some “good” info on my 90 crx.I’m a bit older than most of you and have been in Honda’s specifically for 7 years. I have a limited budget and do most of my own work. I do not however know the first thing about electronics and that’s where I need some good advice. I had some bad advice so please if you don’t know don;t tell. I looking forward to speaking with most of you and if I can help you I will do that.:D:D

Hi all anyone care to point me where to begin on 90 crx with B16 swap. It runs great and is quick but v-tec does not activate, I am obd0 I did not do the swap but is a wiring mess. The ecu light does not even come on to check possible codes. I have gotten some good but mostly bad advice so please if you are unsure thanks but keep your opinion. Sorry to be that way but some people should remain silent on tech stuff, any test I can do with meter maybe bypass something just to see what’s up? Like I said it runs great good idle just no v-tec.

Palozzi:ugh2:

welcome. There are good bit of people on here that know hondas pretty well.

welcome:beer:

welcome

welcome

Welcome

Welcome

Have you checked the oil level first? Checked the vtec solenoid filter/gasket to see if it has any crap in it?
These are just little things to check, I’m not sure if you did things to narrow it down to being electrical or not.

hey wrayzor I did try that a while back and it seemed ok. I’ve been told if you have no speedo cable v-tec won’t activate can anyone tell me if that’s true or not? Thank you for your replies all.

Palozzi

welcome

my old roomate had a 90 CRX SI

Your speedo cable has nothing to do with vtec engagement, at least not that I’ve heard. If I am wrong someone correct me. What ecu are you running?

welcome

welcome you have come to the right place for honda info. its uber gay but for some reason people like them :slight_smile:

welcome

welcome

If you don’t have your speed-o cable hooked up it will throw an ecu code but I’ve never heard of it affecting vtec. See what ecu you are using, its most likely a jdm pr3. After that we can narrow it down alittle more.

i had read a post before and they said that the pulses from the speedo are sent to the VSS which tells the ECU when it should be kicking in. so it cant hurt to check that out.

wrayzor i read that a few times and not sure first hand but seen and heard of it a few times. you still may be right though

What is VSS?

Vehicle speed sensor.

I don’t understand how vtec could be engaged by speed since it is an rpm/oil pressure based sensor.

Well fix your vss or cable just to rule it out then. Maybe vtec won’t kick in if there are any present ecu codes, sorta acting like limp/safe mode.

Of the five conditions that must be met for VTEC engagement, vehicle speed is one of them. For those that disbelieve, unplug your VSS, and try it. Bad info only gets you bad results…

read this: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=830163

Otherwise, welcome and feel free to ask more questions.