iPhone: Ship Your phone out to replace Batt.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/noodles90/DSCN2786.jpg

Apple issues battery program for iPhone
Replacements cost $79, $6.95 shipping, three business days

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19627590/

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:40 a.m. ET July 6, 2007

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A consumer advocacy group has expressed outrage over Apple Inc.'s battery replacement program for the iPhone, while developers and hackers are trying to figure out ways they could expand the capabilities of the hot new gadget.

The hybrid cell phone, iPod media player and wireless Web-browsing device launched to much fanfare on June 29.

On the same day, the Foundation for Consumer and Taxpayer Rights fired off a letter to Apple and AT&T Inc., the cell phone’s exclusive carrier, complaining that customers were being left in the dark about the procedure and cost of replacing the gadget’s battery.
The iPhone’s battery is apparently soldered on inside the device and cannot be swapped out by the owner like most other cell phones.

Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Hakes said Thursday the company posted the battery replacement details on its Web site last Friday after the product went on sale.

Users would have to submit their iPhone to Apple for battery service. The service will cost users $79, plus $6.95 for shipping, and will take three business days.

The procedure is similar to the one it has for the company’s best-selling iPod players, but because some users will not want to live without their cell phones, Apple is also offering a loaner iPhone for $29 while the gadget is under repair.

Harvey Rosenfield, founder of the Santa Monica, Calif.-based consumer watchdog group that wrote the letter last week, contends the iPhone’s battery and repair costs should have been clearly disclosed earlier. The company outlined its cellular service rates and many other features of the iPhone in advance of its launch, which drew snaking lines around stores across the country.

“Some of them might be waking up now,” Rosenfield said, “wondering who they got in bed with.”

Apple did not have an immediate comment on the consumer group’s concerns.

Rosenfield said he didn’t detect the battery information, which is located under several layers of links on Apple’s support page on its Web site, until earlier this week. Technology blogs also started reporting their discoveries of it this week while one of the questions Wall Street Journal tech columnist Walt Mossberg fielded Thursday from his readers was about what happens when the iPhone battery dies.

“The cell phone industry is notorious for not being consumer-friendly while Apple has a fairly good reputation, so for Apple to stand on a technicality of a hidden disclosure that’s going to cost the user as much as 20 percent of the purchase price I think will prove to be a colossal mistake,” Rosenfield said.
The iPhone costs $499 or $599, depending on the model, and requires a minimum two-year $60-a-month service plan with AT&T.

The consumer and taxpayer organization has gone to court over these kinds of issues in the past. It is embroiled in a pending lawsuit against Cingular, now part of AT&T, over its service termination fees, and is also one of the plaintiffs in a pending lawsuit against Apple over an early model iPod Nano that was allegedly defective because it scratched easily.

In addition, Rosenfield said, replacing the iPhone battery should be free to begin with while the product is under its one-year warranty.

He also questioned why Apple chose to go against the norm of what cell phone users are accustomed to — swapping out their own batteries and generally at a cost that is less than half of what Apple is charging now for the iPhone.
“I’m just surprised at Apple’s decision to defy the common practice of allowing people to purchase replacement batteries,” he said. “And the fact that the information is buried is just not appropriate.”

Apple has not disclosed how many iPhones were available at launch, though analysts have speculated the amount was 500,000 or more. AT&T said the gadget had sold out at most of its stores on the night of the launch while many Apple stores ran out of stock by early this week. Those ordering the iPhone online through Apple’s Web site on Thursday were being promised delivery would be in two to four weeks.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:frowning:

crybabies cant be ballers

you gotta have your lil aple phone thats $600 AFTER you sign up for a 2 yeear plan… because its the newest coolest thing

your gonna walk around showing everyone your cool new phone so everyone knows your better then them

congrats, your wallet is a slave to a major corporation that can rape your ass and have u coming back for more

fall in line and be proud of who you are …and pay your $70 when your battery shits

You don’t own any apple shares do you HRK?

i wish i did

and its the only way they would get my $ too

Iphone=overrated

Cant wait to see how that lcd screen does when your outside in the blazing sunlight.

i’d buy apple shares, but would never buy anything they sell. Just like fucking IKEA.

waaah same shit with the ipod… why are you surprised?

An Apple product that is hard to fix? Impossible, that is right up there with an iceberg being able to sink a ship. It just never happens.

I don’t see why people are surprised, it’s exactly how it is with the Ipods.

now that these things are out, I really don’t see myself getting one anymore. it’ll be outplayed in 3 months.

1. it is “you’re”
  2. we’ve already beaten to death that the iPhone bandwagon is old and busted and has no wind in its sales, its almost as boring as sack riding beck

haha shit its funny, they already are selling batteries, expecting them to break.

Makes me wonder if they really make these batteries to take a shit, so you have to replace them.

I have a basic LG phone, the thing has the original battery, i’ve used it for 3 years, and it keeps a charge for over a week.

i cant believe this is news, i mean really. :clap:

WHOA WHOA WHOA. OKAY

I’ve never owned an iPod, so I am woefully unaware of this “repair method”

MY APOLOGIES.

[quote=“walter,post:11,topic:31965"”]

1. it is “you’re”
  2. we’ve already beaten to death that the iPhone bandwagon is old and busted and has no wind in its sales, its almost as boring as sack riding beck

[/quote]

who are you you’re’ing? def not thread title.

[quote=“evolve,post:13,topic:31965"”]

i cant believe this is news, i mean really. :clap:

[/quote]

:word:

Ipods have been known to chew threw their overpriced, replacement batteries that cannot be replaced by average people purposely for many many years.

1. it is “you’re”

[/quote]

the irony is strong here…

unless you meant it as a pun, in which case you suck at puns…

i cant wait until iphone II comes out and then the original will go 50% lol ill wait for that lol…the sidekick is my partner in crime. lol

Apple shares are :tup:

making me some money…although I’d never buy that phone unless it was Verizon compatible and a hunbred dollars or less

1. it is “you’re”

[/quote]

“you’re”? are you talking about the title of the thread?

its amazing what people will sue over… this is how they designed their product… if you dont like it don’t buy it… when a products sales performs badly it forces a company to reconsider its product and redesign it better.

more people really should research their products before they go jumping into anything. sigh…