Is 5.14 too steep??

think a 5.14 gear is too steep for a 350 trans, 6200 stall, and a 29 inch tire??? only going to do some minor street driving (haha back and forth from delta sonic, to cruise nights back home) and 1/8th mile racing at lanecaster. im about to order my rear end sometime next week, and im starting to second guess my gear choice. think i should go with something more forgiving like a 4.88, or a 4.56. i have 4.11 now and i want more :wink:

1 MPG highway, 0 city.

4.11ā€™s
Although power really has a lot to do what which gears you should use, 5.14 would be a track only gear. And 4.11ā€™s should be plenty. What are the specs on your motor?

[quote=ā€œ331camaroā€"]

think a 5.14 gear is too steep for a 350 trans, 6200 stall, and a 29 inch tire??? only going to do some minor street driving (haha back and forth from delta sonic, to cruise nights back home) and 1/8th mile racing at lanecaster. im about to order my rear end sometime next week, and im starting to second guess my gear choice. think i should go with something more forgiving like a 4.88, or a 4.56. i have 4.11 now and i want more :wink:

[/quote]

go 4.56 that way you can still street it

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

fill in all the info and see what mph you will get out of it

[quote=ā€œjeeves744,post:5,topic:24739"ā€]

fill in all the info and see what mph you will get out of it

[/quote]

This tooā€¦
http://www.jag-lovers.org/lumps/x/transfaq.htm

those calculations give me a top speed of 115, which to me, is fine. i dont know how reliable that will be considering that my torque converter is very loose. the motor is a 12.5:1 destroked 350, aftermarket heads, pretty big cam, i cant remember the specs off the top of my head? but when i had a tighter converter, you could feel the engine wake up at around 4700-5000, now the converter stalls up to 6200 and when you flash it, its up to 6000 so fast. and i shift somewhere between 7700-8000, i usually dont look at the tach. not really too concerned about gas mileage, as long as it performs they way i want it to. my main concern is while im at the track, winding 3rd gear out before i roll thru the traps.

I think for your short distance driving it should be fine. Iā€™d be more concerned about how well you are going to hook with 5.14s.

Top speed of 115 if your motor is at redline? cause if you think about it for cruising if you ever go on the highway 80mph or so your motor might be screaming at like 4500rpm. iā€™d go with the 4.56 or something a little more streetable.

Iā€™d think so.

4.11ā€™s are the highest Iā€™d go,when my car has reached its max potential with that gear and Iā€™d have to result to changing it to go fasterā€¦its time for more power.

I nearly run out of gear in the 1/4 mile with 373 gears guys.

If you do any high speed driving, I would say no to such a steep gear.

Wouldnā€™t you be out of gear at like 80 mph with 5.14 gear ratio?

I have no idea what the engine revs to, but I know such a steep gear would be terrible in my car.

my redline is around 8400, 8500. i have that rear end with 5.14ā€™s sitting in my shop all set to go, im just waiting for this wierd weather and my bad luck to pass to throw her in.

5 14 are going to leave u at pretty much 8th mile top out wouldnt it?

[quote=ā€œnitroinsane,post:13,topic:24739"ā€]

5 14 are going to leave u at pretty much 8th mile top out wouldnt it?

[/quote]

yes it would. maybe a little left over but weā€™ll see.

Why such the wild combo? More cubes, less stall, and less gear you would probably have a faster overall car and be much more streetable. What times does the car run or do you expect it to run? BTW, I hope you have one helluva tranny cooler because with that much stall your going to burn the trans up on the street.

[quote=ā€œ331camaroā€"]

only going to do some minor street driving (haha back and forth from delta sonic, to cruise nights back home) and 1/8th mile racing at lanecaster.

[/quote]

since some of you people cant read and keep bring up highway driving and high speeds.

I dont know if i entered something wrong, but when i calculated out 5.14 gears, 29in tall tires, 350 tranny, and 8500 redline it comes out to be 143mph topping out 3rd at 8500rpm

i was a little more modest when i did it, i didnt actually type in 8500 since i do try and stay below that. i dont remember what i put in before, it was a long time ago. but 143 is fast enough for me. :slight_smile: i want shorter gears. and im hoping this is going to give me the feel i was looking for.

Yes.

I wouldnā€™t say yes or no. It depends on what you are using the car for. The most important thing is can you hookup the power/torque with the 5.14 gears

Tire size(calculating room for tire growth top end)/Engine RPM/Estimated trap speed/Suspension setup/Converter slippage top endā€¦

If you can get it to hook with a 6200 stall and a 5.14 gear rock on :slight_smile: