tranny rebuild, different 5th gear set

hey guys i was thinking about it, and if you want your car wangan ready i dont think the stock tranny is good at all, especially since we can hit speed limiter in 4th gear, so with speed limiter removed the 5th gear kinda maxes out early too, i was thinking of rebuilding my tranny and getting a different ratio 5th gear set, i know nismo makes a shorter fifth gear but i want one to the longer side so i can hit higher speeds, do you guys know anything abou tthis ?

Don’t bother.

Changing out only 5th is going to suck balls. You’ll have a big step from 4th to 5th, and likely won’t accelerate at all with a taller gear.

Your better route is to swap out the ring and pinion. The 240s stock is 4.10, what in any other circle is considered a drag gearset.

A 3.7 or even a 3.55 ring and pinion will give you longer legs in all gears - as long as the power is there.

My Charger is only a 3 speed automatic, but because of the power and the highway gearset (my 3.55s were getting noisy, stocker had to go back) it can hit 150+ MPH (250+ kph) before hitting the 6,000 RPM redline.

Nissan motorsports seems to offer the 3.7 as their “tallest” gearset.

So spending $700 on it is dumb. You can source it from any Z31 R200. I believe the NA cars also had a 3.54 option.

I haven’t done the calculations recently, but I swapped a 3.7 diff into my 200, an IIRC the end result was a 300 rpm reduction in all gears vs engine speed.

It’s not a lot, but it will add up in top end.

thanks alot man, now i know more about how this work, i am going to reaserch what fits and doesnt and probably post again, thanks again.

a 240 will do 180mph if you rev out to 7700rpm and slightly bigger wheels and tires

thats pretty quick

i’ve seen you go 279 in a video, with the SR, was that an SR tranny or a KA tranny with a sr bellhousing ? how big of wheels would i need to go that fast, 19’s ? with 50 profile rubber ? i want it to be wangan safe setup

go read tirerack.com about tire sizing info to understand how tires are sized a bit better it’ll help out, you dont need 19s to have big tires.

i did 275, but only 250 in the video.

i was at 7000rpm with 6% oversize tires. they were still on the 15" wheels they were just big ass bad boys. rated for only 195km/h too. yeeeaaa im smart. foot was over the clutch the whole time ready to drop that bad boy if anything went whack.

to make 300 you need to rev out to about 7750 iirc

^^^^

You mean that guy that looks like you did.

One point I think that needs to be remade here is that there are two things that will keep you from hitting high speeds.

Mechanical Top Speed

What Sasha is talking about here. The physical limitation of how fast you can go.

One is an SR, which will wind out thanks to truuuuuubo. Ka at almost 8,000 … won’t be making much power at all, trubonium or not.

Which brings us to the other, which is power.

In 5th gear, with 130hp, speed cut or not, you’re going to take a long ass time to get to 300 km/h!!!

If the physical limitation of gearing + motor is say, 270 km/h, there’s no guarantee the motor will be able to pull it there.

Then again, if you’re going for true Wangan, 300 km/h isn’t going to cut it either.

We had a dude in one of our mags with a TT Diablo, he does the Tunnel all the time (ahh, to be an old rich japanese business man). Something like 11 km of acceleration … ~ 1,000 hp.

Marty, you’d be back in 1955 in no time.

i think being able to hit 250 would make me happy… even though its not true wangan i’d be glad to hit those speeds safely with my setup, i have a set of 16 inch rims with 235/60/16 pirelli tires, knowing that i sometimes like to try my car fast when noones around, i like to make sure everything is safe, i always check sidewall for cracks, make sure al lthe weights are tight, make sure the wheel wells are attached and all, i am thinking that wider tires, lowered with not very stiff suspension would be the best for stability and traction, thanks alot for the info guys, i was also thinking about the apexi rev and speed metering device cause my speedometer doesnt work with speed cut removal, and u cant see past 180 anyways, do you guys think its a worthy device for the price ?

Oh man what a Night that was, Good Ol’ Michlens.

That V8 Kompressor had nothing… :wink: