Is there a Newegg for Mountain Bikes?

Im looking in to getting a mountain bike and have been looking at all of the stores around here(NC) and cant seem to get any real help. I figured that I could find a decent setup for starting out in one of the shops but it seems like they all carry $800+ only. Is there any place on the net that i can look for decent pre-packaged bikes or even a place that has good prices on Frames, Forks, Brakes, etc…

Looking to spend ~$600 so building one would be better I guess as I can do it over a couple weeks. With that all said, what are good companys now? I remember when Diamond Back was a decent name back in the late 90’s. Kinda leaning toward Gary Fisher and Trek but who else should I be considering?

If you’re looking sub-$1500 building one is not going to be cost effective. In the range you’re looking, cheapest option is to buy something pre-built.

talk to mindless, he works at a bike shop n knows a good amount about them.

www.nashbar.com

www.performancebike.com

that being said… a used bike via ebay is your bet bet for a first bike… go to berts, figure out whats size you are… and then go on ebay and bid bid bid…

Well if I jump on Ebay, what are some Brands/Models that I should be looking up?

specialized, trek, gt

there are a whole bunch you have never heard of…

the component selection will usually tell you if its a good bike or not…

Cannondale.

I am likely biased but I bought an '05 Jekyll used for $650, and could not be happier. I got a barely used, full suspension bike with decent components for half price. The Prophet is the replacement for the Jekyll after 2005.

Also, the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR is an awesome bike that everyone loves.

Seriously though, go used, get double the bike for the money and enjoy riding a shit ton more on a much better bike.

i have to say i LOVE my cannondale as well.

they make VERY good mb setups.

GLwursearch

Just got my gf a Kona blast, which is in your price range. Very solid novice mtb.

http://www.konaworld.com/08_blast_w.htm

if your looking for a decent Cheap bike with decent componants…

bikesdirect.com free shipping on whole bikes…

but i personally go with the local bike shop. Eric’s cycle works in hamburg is top notch. (sorry missed the outta buff fact at first).

for online parts bike nashbar & Pricepoint are pretty good. & always send free catalogs.

i just found a online shopping crack site… chainlove.com… like woot for bike stuff.

Fisher is owned by Trek

Also, I don’t know about buying a bike online. Personally, I would go to a shop try a couple out and find one that fits and is comfortable. Why spend all that money on something you’re not going to like. Do it right.

Between Chainlove, ans Steep&Cheap, my impulse buying abilities are so greatly increased.

Horrible.

www.bestbikebuys.com for comparison shopping, most price match as well

i know. sorry bro.

you hit up sprague brook on wed nites?

but i would seriously HIT up the local bike shop and Test fit a bike. thats what the shop is there for. most beginners just look at the crazy price on a bike and want to shop elseware.

I do Sprague a fair amount on Wednesday nights, most weeks actually.

And I do agree, if it is your first bike, and you insist on new, go to the LBS (local bike shop). I really do believe that you will get a much better bike for the money doing some good used shopping, even locally so you can try before you buy.