Where to buy mountain bike parts online?

I recently picked up a GT Ricochet for free from a guy I work with but it needs a lot of work before I can actually ride it. Currently it has no wheels and everything that the chain touches needs to be replaced. My plan is to rip the bike down and rebuild it, replacing everything that is worn along the way. Ive been looking online but im not really sure what Im looking at. For someone who has been out of the game for a while, how do I know whats good anymore? Shocks? rims? tires? chains? Budget is <~$350 MTB pros, please help.

www.pricepoint.com

www.nashbar.com
www.speedgoat.com
www.performancebike.com
www.greenfishsports.com

www.hucknroll.com

or their woot-like, deal every 20 min clearance site:

www.chainlove.com

www.jensonusa.com

all of the big stores price match

If you need a fork its really gonna kill your budget
this is $100 and weighs 5.5#!

By the sounds of the bike you may want to look for a used entry level hardtail for around $350. Even cheap wheelset, drivetrain and fork are going to set you back almost that much alone.

Wow, I just asked this question in my mtn bike thread. Thanks guys!

I’m looking at a Trek 3900 hardtail for around that price range right now. It’s a very comfortable bike with just what you need for a good road ride and it feels solid enough to be quite capable on trails. I’ll update details after i purchase it either 2day or 2morrow.

I posted this question on some other boards and I keep getting the same response “Its not worth putting money into”. With that said, what are some decent hartail bikes for ~$450?