Is this for real!?!?!? someone please let me know

first impression upon seeing that car would be just all show no go. but you did try and go for a sleeper car, specially with putting in a vg30 in your van. so you cant really help but get that first impression from most people. same thing with my car, i always get people that go up to me and say “hey, i heard you can get 1000hp with that car on just an ecu”:confused: it was funny at first but gets tiring. people get the wrong impression just by looking at a car. congratulations on the vg30.

Is that a Quest or a Villager? On your profile it says its a Quest but that looks a Mercury Symbol on the grill.
The Quest came stock with a VG30 in there. I don’t remember exactly but didn’t the Ford put a Mitsubishi V6 in the Mercury Villager?
A bunch of Nissan cars used the VG30 in that time. Maxima, 300ZX, 200SX (US Version for 1988, CA got a CA18ET), Quest, etc etc.
FWD VGs (Maxima, Quest) were built slightly different from RWD VGs (300ZX, 200SX) and it is not easy to put a FWD tranny on a VG Block designed for a RWD car.
Is that 308HP at the wheels or at the crank? Dyno chart to support these claims?

I was wondering if someone would get around to asking that.

patrick just made my head spin from too much info.

yeah serious

It is infact a Villager and the Quest and Villager are 100% exactly the same. I like to call it a Quest cuz it’s actually tuned with Nissan/nismo parts (which were retro-fitted from a Maxima) like the injectors for example, along with the 300ZX fuel pump and maxima intake adaptor. And yes lmao, although it may sound absolutely rediculous, 308hp @ wheels, not flywheel lol. With some hefty engine mods: porting & polishing heads, shaved down heads etc. it can be very, very successful, plus since the VG30 series motors are ranked as one of the highest tunable engine’s that nissan made (aside from the SR20’s, RB’s etc.). Anyways, what are you guys driving around here??..too bad my 240 isnt done yet or else i’d post up some pics of that too :frowning: .

why is that mitsubishi thought always around in people when they hear “Mercury Villager”?? bottom line, it’s got a Nissan VG30E motor in it.

the mercury villager and nissan quest was a joint venture between nissan and ford, designed by nissan, manafuctured at a ford plant, villagers also had the vg30e, we have put quest engines in villagers on 2 occassions, and i dont consider that a “vg swap”… it was more a bolt in, not trying too sound rude, im just saying, quests and villagers are really similar vans, not quiet the same, but damn close!

i have honestly contemplated putting the dohc vg from my maxima into my dads villager… but then i realized its retarded, im more a fan of the toyota previas(or even the 80’s toyota van) for that type of stuff. its cool that you did it… but seriously man… the jokes have been done too death about stickers and such, and that van really looks horrid with them… its your choice… but they should just be removed along with the underglow imo… otherwise, if you arent lying… awesome job!

yea you fixed that before i could… wow we think alike… but i still hate the stickers! good job man!

hey! yeah, stickers i think i can even admit i went a little overboard on. im not saying anything about motors because i have a huge amount of respect for each and every motor nissan has ever built. the maxima injectors and intake as i said were kind of retro fitted froma maxima as a “direct part” wasnt made exactly for the villager, but when you throw the maxima motor beside the villager motor, theyre the exact same…the only difference on the maxima (89-90 something) VG30E is the intake manifolds, you can significantly tell the difference between the manifolds on both. otherwise, inside out, theyre all in all exactly the same, except villager is SOHC, some of the newer VG’s are DOHC…which can serve better sometimes. as for dyno charts…i had it done last spring when the heads went in…i will honestly try my best to dig them up out of this mess of paperwork and other garbage. the only problem is scanning them onto the computer…but i think i can manage. the dyno was done in the USA, as I was on my way with my dad to go see some drift racing up there, they had a “portable” dyno meter infront of the track entrance, there were afew people there and the wait wasnt too long…plus it only costed something like $25.00 US to hook it up, so I figured why not? plus, like some of you guys, everyone was skeptical about the van itself, so i said why not…to be honest, i was only expecting 250-270 hp maximum…turns out it was alot more. anyways, ill be searching.

and omg ID NEVER TOUCH THE UNDERGLOW, I FREAKIN LOVEEEE ITT! meh, its always good to get feedback, this way i can tweak the car in little ways to make it both more credible, simple and cleaner…but the underglow no question cannot come off.

and one thing…can someone please explain to me the difference between HP and PS?? like when a jap-spec power rating says overall power and it says like 450PS…how much horsepower (HP) is that? i know its kinda confusing, but do your best if u can…thanks!

1hp = 1.014ps (I forget what it stands for but it’s basically metric horsepower)

Soooo… 450ps = 444hp (almost, your butt dyno won’t tell the difference :drivin )
Your van has 312ps :smiley:

Mike

**Edit, searched and found this: ps is the symbol for pferdestärke, which is German for horsepower. The symbol ps is used in both the German and Japanese markets.

thanks Mike! eee, im starting to like PS better now…makes it sound higher and i like it better than saying HP…say it PS lmao. sounds weired actually lol:hmm :wink:

what transmission are you running on your van? why does it not explode?

you should throw some 13 inch wires on, that would be sick.

or lift it with 22’s, i saw shit like that in florida, they call them donks (lifted old school impala’s with 36’s) its nuts, i even saw an 05 accord sedan with 22’s

I’ve been watching a lot from the Z31 and Z32 scene and I’ve heard otherwise about any VG series motor. The only effective power adder is turbo.
This holds true to most engines but this engine (VG30E and VG30DE) have almost nothing available to boost the power.
There are the common adders. Porting and Polishing does marginal gains as the flow pattern on the VG engines are pretty good from what I understand.
When I go anywhere and ask about the VG30DE in my 300ZX, everyone says not to waste my time with the DE and swap in a DETT motor.

I’m confused with the Maxima intake manifold thing. Are we talking about the SOHC (VG30E) or the DOHC (VG30DE)??? The injectors can probably be used whether it’s a DOHC or SOHC but I’ve never heard of anyone putting a DOHC manifold onto a SOHC engine. What year Maxima are we talking anyway? The Maxima didn’t get the DOHC cam version of the VG. They got a VE or something like that when the trucks were getting the VG bored to 3.3L and the cars were getting the DOHC version still at 3.0L.

I read something to that affect in Sport Compact Car magazine. a guy wrote in asking how to build a high horsepower VG30E for his Z31. they said the 2-valve per cylinder head design would make it nearly impossible to get 300hp and he would have to bore it, run very high compression pistons, an un-streetable cam, and that he would be better off swapping in an RB.

considering you lose roughly 25% of your power through an automatic transmission 300/0.75 = 400 you would have to be making around 400hp at the crank if you are running an automatic transmission, which makes your claim very hard to believe considering the modifications mentioned. this means either the dyno you ran on was wrong, or you are lying.

I don’t think he’s lying. It’s probably the case of the crappy, street-side dyno, giving out inaccurate dyno numbers.

I recall him being a cool guy, so I’m giving him excuses. :R

Considering it only cost him $25 to run, I would have to agree with you.

Nismo guy, I think you got screwed.

Don’t forget FJ20… google it if you don’t know. Great engine.

Now onto the VG30E in the van. Stock power is 153 hp (not whp) and 182 tq.

I find it hard to believe even with major engine work that your engine is putting out over 300 whp.

What tq number do you have? Near 400?

Like most nissan motors, the way to get power out of them is by adding a turbo. N/A mods will not yield such high results on a 3.0 engine.

I don’t mean to rag on you, but it’s just hard to believe.