IT Jobs

I have a professional contact at a direct to hire IT placement firm that reached out to me last week.

She’s having some trouble with finding applicants for a few jobs and was asking if I could be of assistance.

I don’t know much about the jobs (pay, benefits, company…etc) but I did promise her I would reach out to a few folks I might know looking for work. I know of lot of you on here are in the IT field.

I’ve worked with this particular person before in the past and she jump started my career a few years back.

Here are the list of jobs she’s trying to fill:

Jr. Systems Administrator
Technical Customer Support
Copier/Printer Field Technician
Mid-level Network Engineer
Sr. Systems Engineer
IT Project Manager (Infrastructure)
Programmer/Report/Data Analyst
Jr. Programmer
Systems Programmer/Analyst
Java Web Applications Developer
Sr. Developer (C#)
Developers (C# and SQL)
PHP Developers
VB.NET Developers

Contact information:

[FONT=&amp]Nicole Marino
Professional Support, Inc.
26 North Cayuga Road
Williamsville , NY 14221
716-634-0253 x19
800-444-6760

If you do contact her please let her know that Jarrod Glenn sent you. There maybe a referral bonus for me if you get placed… G/L

Thanks
[/FONT]

She is a good person :tup:

I concur…

Looks like some nice opportunities there, good stuff.

Jr. Systems Admin hmmm

I am assuming they pay like shit which is why people haven’t taken them.

Is it in WNY?

Last time I check the median pay for IT jobs has really come up.

5-6 years ago 50-60 was on the higher side

Now most are 75k

Yeah, IT is still underpaid here, and I really think in general. HR and most places have no idea what IT Staff actually do or how involved and invested they become.

That being said, most IT can live pretty comfortable on a salary here. I do OK and I am below the median.

You need to find something slightly more specific

Network Engineer that actually just does network engineering

System engineer that just does system engineering

The catch all jobs is where they pay people less like system admin who does networking/firewall/security/sharepoint/etc

• Updated - - -

Also if you’re underpaid find another job someone else will pay you what you deserve.

It’s a really good time for this if you’re self motivated its one of the few industries you can move into 100k+ salaries if you’re properly motivated with no college.

Yea specialized ones here are going way up. 50k was the top of your career but not anymore for specialized experience/architect roles around here as companies are being more focused on IT and it isn’t more of an expense that it used to be. There is a bunch of IT people making 85k+ in Buffalo now as long as you have a passion for the field and to keep growing your experience.

You also can fall into the same role and retire on it with no growth if you want.

These position titles sound like general IT roles which a lot as I said, pay like crap.

Some of the title look better than others. Copier/printer field technician? that’s probably a 35k job. Sr Systems Engineer? That could be 75k.

I’m sure hours and responsibilities play a role too. A Jr Sys Admin position paying $45k and expecting 24/7 on-call can pound salt.

Yeah probably 40-50k for jr. system administrator. Systems Admin always translates to “If it plugs in you probably deal with it”.

A while back I was looking at SharePoint Administrator jobs in Buffalo and the minimum salary for one is like 70k. I do agree with @LZ1 though, there is definitely oppurtunity to make 80, 90, 100k in Buffalo doing IT. As @boxxa said it’s usually a specific position like Sharepoint Admin, Director of IT, DBA, etc. The problem I face is, it has to be something I like going to work and doing. LZ picked a field he enjoyed and I’m sure makes a decent buck doing it. Being a Network Admin pays well but isn’t something I’d really want to do I don’t think. As shitty as it pays I kind of like the problem solving aspect of Helpdesk even though I’ve pretty much deviated from that. I enjoy being the person at work that the other IT guys come to when they can’t solve it.

Usually the more distance you put between yourself and then end user the happier you are.

Figure out what you like doing in IT and get better at it…or if you just want to make money Security, VoIP, Networking, Programming or something specific and chase that.

I love what I do for work but it’s not for everyone the field is constantly changing and its not a 9-5 job.

Dude, Network Admin is the ultimate “When nobody else can figure it out” position.

• Updated - - -

If your IT job is 9-5, you’re probably doing it wrong.

or you work at a call center…

yeah, it was a tongue-in-cheek blanket comment, so it’s obviously not 100% serious. But IT systems require care and feeding at all times of the day and night in many industries, so if you’re in IT or thinking about getting into IT, you should understand that your job will not always be M-F 9-5.

People always look at me strange when I tell them I don’t get any standard holidays off and that I have to take PTO (of which I get more than probably most Europeans) to take holidays off. They may understand that a Health System is a 24x7 business, but probably don’t connect the dots of how much the business relies on IT. So when the Hospital is open, we are covering.

That’s kind of a tangent of the topic, but thought it was relevant as discussing this field, for anyone that is reading this thinking about getting into IT.

If people are looking im sure Fidelis is still hiring they have good benefits, 403b, and extremely competitive salary.

On another note as in house IT salaries continue to rise I have noticed some lagging behind on consulting salaries.

This is pretty much it. If you want an IT 9-5 then you typically are in a role that is a general mid paying role that has not much growth. Also some of the general sys admin roles where the jack of all trades but good at none fall into this where smaller companies have one guy that does everything but not in a enterprise level and either has a heart attack doing it or makes a decent living if you are ok with the work and stress.

The isolated fields are great that you pointed out and if you start blending them together, you become a serious asset. Companies now are even paying engineers more than management roles at other places that rely on IT workers.

^^^All this and a bag o’ chips. Jack of all trades, Master of none are paid mediocre because they have no marketable specialty/niche. Also, people need to keep in mind if they’re not traveling & bringing macro money into their micro economy they are gonna be paid according to their micro economy. Buffalo’s cost of living is low, an average quality of life in our micro economy certainly doesn’t require 6 figures.