it took me almost 3 years to realize (LONG rant)

vws are nothing but money pits and fucking rust buckets.

had a mk3 jetta 6 months before i had my permit, in july of 03…acquired that from my unle who gave it to me cause theyd only give him $50 in a trade in for it! all i did was sink money into it, good amount of mods but mostly repairs, hapilly modded it and repaired it for 2 years…

then got a mk2 in late august last year for 2 grand. had fun with it for a couple months, and then decided to take the flares off, which had original plastic rivets in them, mind you. so they were never taken off. and good lord was there a lot of rust, practically half the fender fell apart in my hand. took the other one off and it was the same deal, but not AS bad…but still bad.

couple months after that, i left my sunroof open during a rain storm, there was 2" of water in my car so i lifted the rugs up without looking at the floorboard. i hear some water leaking somewhere, and to no avail…water is streaming out of a hole in my floorboard. FUCKING ASSHOLE who sold me the car told me there was absolutely no rust…lift up the other one and bam, rust. no holes, but rust.

then the fuel pump started leaking…what a bitch. gas in the mouth = no fun.

and i still have a massive exhaust leak since i got it. i think the donut gasket or whatever its called, its pretty much ripped apart witha huge hole in it, and the cat isnt even bolted to the header. just kinda sittin there. i dont care.

not to mention i have absolutely no stickers on it either. its registered witht he sticker on it, thats about it. no emissions/inspections stickers. never bothered becuase i knew id fail with the leak.

slammed it shitless on 14x8 steelies, it was pretty mcuht ouching the ground and all that fun shit. i had fun with it and it gave me TONS of stares within the last month. got the steelies in the beginning of march…it was cool. but thats about the ONLY thing i enjoyed with that car.=, people asking wtf it was and how the hell could i drive around like that (and to this day, btw, i have never touched the pan on ANYTHING. eat that shit!)

well i went looking for a rust free and very clena shell because i just bought a 16v in december,. planning to run it on digi2. found one, well i thought so. but it was fucking trashed. on the way back from the guys house, myy dad got me thinking. sell both my cars, get a vr6. was excited about it, but then a few days alter…naaaaah fuck that, get an audi a4…

and now ive finally come to the conclusion. fuck VAG. fuck it. most of the vortex for the mk3 crowd is a huge clique, its almost like attending another highschool. mk2s are for beaters or for a full out resto project. its time for a bmw. so im selling all my shit, and saving up for a '96 - '98 328iS 5spd. i recently started working as a lot attendant at A&L BMW in monroeville, so getting one for a cheap price that isnt beat wont be much of a problem.

so yeah, soprry for the huge rant. just a little pissed ive sunk $11000 + into cars that have real low value…and im not gonna make half of it back.

FUCK.

pics of said cars:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/14x8/IMG_0002.jpg

thats what happens with old cars.

i’ll take any oppertunity i can to slam vw, but all the shit you describe is to be expected with ten to twenty year old cars in the rust belt.

exactly. thats why my old car is from florida.

thats cause you buy shit buckets, my dub is 10 years old this year and has never let me down, and its just as low as your car…

u spent money because u had junk.

give mne 11k, and ill give u a 10 second show worthy clean vw.

but i do agree, fuck vortex.

is that high or low 10s?

maybe low 10’s for 1 run :slight_smile:

and no, i didnt mean my car. i mean 11k can go a long fucking way in older vw land. vr6 in a a2 w/ a turbo kit, 16v turbo in a1… etc etc.

alslo, if u want a clean mk2 gti shell, contact mark morris on here. mint monty green shell w/ some goodies for cheap, like 500 range. i’d buy it but need my money.

im pretty sure i seen that first one running around murrysville quite a few times

lucid, you needed to look at the gti better when you bought it. If you would have done that, then you wouldn’t be in this situation. I know when i buy a car i check the fenders, and a lot of the other stuff that you have problems with… And as far as doing repairs you are going to have to do that to any car you buy eventually, so get used to it. (unless you buy one brand new, even still you are going to have do to routine maintenance)

it’s all about finding the right used car…

Heh, I totally called this one back in the pittracing days when you got the mk3.

rolling? god that’s so tempting.

correct me if i’m wrong, but weren’t you trying to sell your mk2 as a car with &very small amounts of rust?

the reason you spent so much is because it takes much more than just wheels and tires and suspension to make the car the way you want especially one that is older…

I suggest you keep your mk2 and fix it if you can and learn how to work on cars before you move onto a BMW as you want which will be more expensive to fix for sure!

i believe so. and yes, it is tempting. if i wasn’t knee deep in my project, i’d take it. car was from nj to begin w/ running a vr6. shell was bought by a pittspeeder, and converted to g-60 turbo. sold to another pittspeeder who didnt want it. so mark bought it and took all the turbo shit off.

car is mint body wise. fenders are cut for 26 inch slicks. but cant notice w/ the g-60 fender flares.

deffinitely a good shell for a vr6 swap. and has a title too.

thanks for the heads up, I’ve been im-ing mark since this morning, and after talking with him, I would probably go the g60 turbo route. I was originally thinking either 16vT or vr6T, but because of budget, it seems the g60 option would be way better from a cost vs. performance perspective. I would be auto crossing it, so the weight savings over a vr6 would be nice too.

g60 block 16v head, bahn brenner twin screw :mrT:

if u need g-60 shit, let me know. have access to 2 motors, complete wiring harness, turbo chips, etc. would not go the twin screw way, as a small t3 (.42/.48) off a saab makes more power/tq than it does, and has comparable low end tq too.

hell, if u need older and earlier parts in general, just ask. between myself and my circle of vw friends, we got the part.