IT / Wireless Network Super Nerds - Business Application

At work we have two facilities located across a parking lot. Currently we have some crap wireless solution that is horrendously slow to handle connecting the “remote” site to the server which is based in the main building.

We’ve contacted vendors about tunneling some cable but they keep wanting to push more wireless options. This is their current recommendation:

http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/files/DS-ExtendAir-r5000-C-0809.pdf

We have about 10 users over there who frequently are accessing 5-10MB files.

Soon we will have multiple users accessing CAD data from over there which have files that are hundreds of megs.

Is this even going to come close? I’m skeptical of any quoted rates (in this case 162 Mbps) as I know that is far from reality.

Is there a better way to estimate the throughput we’re actually going to need?

I don’t think I’ll be able to answer, but here is a relevant question?

What is the type of traffic and how many users? Is it ONLY the 10 users you mentioned and are they only transferring 5-10MB files? How frequently is it being used? Are they also using email/web browsers/other network services?

So really the only solution to copper/fiber runs is wireless?

They’re constantly transferring files that are 5-10MB. It takes like 5 minutes to open a file now, it is the suck.

They also do all the normal shit, and are working off our file server across the parking lot.

Get cable modem there, run VPN, win?

Just pull a damn fiber and be done with it.

PS. 162 Mbps is not unbelievable. Direct line of sight wireless solutions are fast as hell. I just wouldn’t stand in front of a high powered one…

Or… http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomarthur/120395074/

If the building is just across the parking lot, I’d say get a buried fiber run or have the ISP do Metro Ethernet or Dark Fiber, though for being across the parking lot that is rather excessive. Wireless really is a shitty option especially if you have a decent amount of people operating on it and you are going to put heavy traffic on it.

If you start factoring in things like Windows File Sharing, VDI/Citrix, VOIP Phones wireless just wouldn’t be able to keep up.

This seems like such a minor expense for a business to have a contractor come in with a saw and cut a line in the parking lot, drop some fiber in there, and seal the cut back up. All the bandwidth you’ll ever need and you can stop wasting man hours of high dollar engineers who sit and wait while files open.

You’re going to be connecting at half duplex with wireless, even with gods boner radiating the wireless signal, nothing like CAD files should be transferred over wireless. Believe me, do it right the first time rather than wasting money to bandaid a situation.

Those licensed frequencies point to point wireless products work extremely well.

If you can’t do fiber it’s the next best thing

Another option if the buildings are connect via copper phone lines you can use DSL drivers on the lines.

And wtf don’t you have an IT department or contractors to figure this stuff out?

If I were the OP, I would ask the the vendor for references to other companies that may have installed this technology. I’ve worked with enough vendor installed systems to know that shiny sales pitches are often not realized when a product is installed. I don’t know if it’s possible to get a contact to another customer as a reference, but it may be worth a shot.

move the data to an FTP site, wireless is only good for giving you the internet in the bathroom, not moving file.

Just a guess, but maybe the vendors you’re dealing with are pushing the fancy point to point wifi because they get to sell you a bunch of expensive equipment, contract to install it, then contract to keep it running. Compared to selling you X feet of fiber and having to a contractor cut and fix your parking lot I’m guessing the former has a whole lot more profit for them.

Running fiber isn’t cheap

It’s also a giant cluster fuck depending on who owns the parking lot and if you want to go aerial with it you need to get permission to use poles and all this bs.

However if the same company owns both buildings etc I would still go the fiber route being able to go 1Gb -> 40Gb -> 100Gb with single mode fiber would be a lot more useful then any 100Mb wireless solution.

http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/how-to-use-fiber-optic-cable-for-short-runs-between-buildings-and-why-you-should/

Splicing fiber is easy btw

I was talking more about the cost to trench the parking lot and make entry into both buildings with conduit into their wiring closets.

Add up what it costs to have engineers you’re paying big bucks to sit around for 5+ minutes every time they open a file, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year vs a one time cost of paying some paving company to rip and repair a 3" wide trench in a parking lot. Fiber doesn’t have to be buried deep, especially down south where he is.

Fiber is the way to go either way and it leaves room to grow.

If you have a line of sight, you can simply buy two Wireless N access points and make a 100MB link straight across the parking lot that can equal the same speed as running a Ethernet cable. Cisco has aim-able antennas that are perfect for this and actually have covered a steel mill before using this solution.