Powerline Networking

Wall plug adapter to feed intarwebs in the wallz yo. This stuff shit, or worth $40 instead of fishing wire to where I can’t get a stable network? Nothing crazy, just want to have a laptop in the garage that’s more stable than the current low signal network I limp off of, stream pandora, fap between jobs to jailbait -and use Alldata.

It works well…

Bring on the faptop it is. Advice on brands? Looking on Amazon & tbe $40 price point range +/- a few bucks. Thanks

I remember reading about the entire www going to this about ten years go.

why wouldn’t you just get a second wireless router closer and bridge it or something.

It was a huge possibility until people found the high speed fiber networks and all that infrastructure started being implemented. Only real use case would be rural areas but there is other technologies now that deliver nearly the same speeds with out having to work with power companies who are using the open spectrum for their own grid and data monitoring

They actually make good use of it now with smart meter technology.

I’d like point out how well it works is largely dependent on the quality/age of the wiring in your house.

I’ve used it in 2 or 3 houses, works well. Speeds are a little slower, but still works fine.

i’ve been thinking about this to extend my service from my office which is at one end of my house over to my garage on the other end of the house… so you plug one adapter in at the router and plug the other adapter into an outlet somewhere else in the house… can i then connect another wireless router on the other end and have it act as an access point or repeater?

Yes

Maybe a weird question… Does everything have to be on the same phase or leg in the distribution panel?

I use this in my apartment, my landlord supply’s fios in the basement so I have a powerline adapter down stairs next to the router and then one up here in my apartment to feed Internet up to my own network (plugged into router)

AFAIK it has to be on the same phase.

That makes sense…my garage is on an entirely different panel than my house so it would have been an issue anyway… I’ll have to just run a single outlet off the house panel into the garage to support the device

wat… if you’re running a cable to the garage then just run a network cable.