It's here! VZW 4G LTE

Well, not in Buffalo, but it’s live in Rochester!

And I’m told switching from 3G to 4G equipment is a pretty simple procedure, and should be live in Buffalo within 8 months if things go to plan.

I’ve got the UML 4G USB cards in stock ($149.99 in store, $50 MIR) and they are backwards compatible to 3G. In 4G areas they will be up to 10X faster than EVDO Rev-A devices.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/4g

According to the 3GPP group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3gpp) wimax (sprint) and t-mobiles laughable ploy to pass off HSPA as 4G are not true 4G technologies.

So, if you are in the ROC and want superfast mobile internet, let me know!

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

These qualify for the new pricing plans also. ($50/5GB, $80/10GB)

What kind of down/up speeds are people pulling?

Once big red and big blue/orange are both LTE and can roam on each other, it’s probably game over for the little guys.

5-12 mbps down, 2-5 mbps up (advertised). the bandwidth is there for 100mbps though.

We have a couple live ones at work, and are able to regularly pull in 9-12mbs down, and 2-3 up. The Sprint Overdrive we have is not nearly as consistent, ranging from 5-9mbs down. (Victor, NY)

Bandwidth is there?

I wonder if they ran new cell tower backhaul because all those towers currently max out at 1Gb connections.

From what I gather, thats the reason why its taken so long. swapping the hardware in the towers / switches isnt a big deal, its running all the backend stuff.

how is the latency? I don’t care about fast download, I want quick connections.

the links i posted earlier say 2x as fast as 3g.

Any info on 4G data plans for smartphones? The Thunderbolt just dropped and I’m thinking about a Droid Bionic when it’s released.

Do you remember how long it took to get 3G? lol

I’m in Rochester, supposed to be here before Buffalo gets it…

It is in rochester… And like 40 other cities already. Try it out on your 4G phone. Let me know how it is. lol

Geehee is out of the country so i wouldn’t expect an answer immediately