It's ILLEGAL to rip music to a PC, even if its not shared.

:tup: :tup:

But,

the big change from previous downloading cases is the RIAA’s newfound aggressiveness in calling MP3s ripped from legally owned CDs “unauthorized copies” – something it’s been doing quietly for a while, but now it looks like the gloves are off. While there’s a pretty good argument for the legality of ripping under the market factor of fair use, it’s never actually been ruled as such by a judge – so paradoxically, the RIAA might be shooting itself in the foot here, because a judge wouldn’t ever rule on it unless they argue that it’s illegal. Looks like someone may end up being too clever for their own good, eh?

The thread lives.

i know this is considered to be a convoluted argument, but what of people like my sister who own in excess of 600 CDs (at last physical count)?

Surely not all of that media is avail on iTunes.

Also… why would she have to pay 2x for media she already owns?

CDs should not be treated as movie tickets. You do not pay to listen to the media @ a theater once… you are buying the media for personal use.

Its a pretty clear statement to say that mp3 players are more portable then CD players… so that is easily argued.

Lastly… why hand a monopoly to apple? I know Robhimself & friends will defend Apple to the death, and sure it innovated alot of this arena, but eh.

can this be compared to:

Me buying a stock mustang…removing the exhaust system and competley copying it and making another exhaust (for when the oem exhaust rusts out).

Is it possible for Ford to sue me for un-athorized copying?

I mean it’s the same thing as buying a cd, ripping it to your computer and having it for when the CD you bought gets all scratched.

not rly.

the exhaust parts have no question regarding end user ownership.

One entity flies in the face of this statement: Radio Shack

They survive off of selling Apple, Cell phone contracts, and prepaid minutes.

Everytime that I go in there for a part (usually under $2), there is 3-4 ‘kids’ paying their bill to get their phones reactivated.

:biglaugh:

Would the RIAA be pissed if I copied my CDs onto cassette tapes? :bloated:

This is so staggeringly retarded.

uh oh :biglaugh:

and I’m with hotrodkid. I haven’t purchased a CD since atleast 1998… f the riaa. Not that I’m too cheap to buy music, but certainly wont buy the shit that record companies “say” is good, nor will I buy any music that comes loaded with DRM.

downloading and XM all the way

Its called rigging up an old monitors deguassing module to fire with a large pulse at your HD in case they come after you.

THUNK

you now have no evidence i did anything with my wiped hard drive.

fuckers

they don’t need your HDD unfortunitly… all they need is a “paper trail” from your ISP showing you downloaded the music/ect

then the account holder gets sued

bugga

The last few CD’s I have bought have been ones that I bought right at a concert directly from the artist.

I paid cash and was happy with what I got.

I haven’t bought a cd in a cd store in at least 5 years, if not more.

I have no need for 2 track cd’s and the rest filler garbage.

The “buying a CD is just a license” concept isn’t all that new. Consider your software, technically Windows isn’t supposed to be resold unless by a dealer. According to the EULA, in some cases, you cant install it on more than one machine.

Bad example, even Micro$oftallows you personal use of a portable copy.

From EULA

The license for my Office XP states the following.

“General License Grant to Install and Use Software Product. You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on a single computer, device, workstation, terminal, or other digital electronic or analog device (“Device”). You may make a second copy of the Software Product and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy of the Software Product. A license for the Software Product may not be shared.”

Lame. This shit always reminds me of the episode of south park where the boys get in trouble dor downloading music.

so basically all they want you to do is to give them more money:

want this album on your MP3 player? that will be $0.99 per song from iTunes, said album in now ‘legally’ on your PC and MP3 player.

Oh, you want that SAME album, but in a CD format so you can play it in your car, or just to have a hard copy of it? not a problem! that will be another $15 please.

they just want to get your money twice. the file sharing, yeah ok, while we are all guilty of using it, i suppose you could say thats stealing. but I think once you purchase a hard copy of a CD, what you do with it is your business. you paid for it, so you should be able to put it on your PC and your MP3 player and whatnot. thats what you paid for, right?

Quickly scanning through… Seems like someone is going to have to fight back against the RIAA to protect some rights that we have. If they could keep on getting court precedence after precedence … this could get ugly

the RIAA is fucked up, yes…tell me something i don’t know :slight_smile:

it’s illegal to do anything other then to spend as much money as possible with these fools.

Read your own quote:

For every computer you own, you’re supposed to buy another copy. You cant resell, you can’t trade the disc. You may be able to make a copy, but only for installing on the original computer, or a mobile device to be used by YOU only.