It's ILLEGAL to rip music to a PC, even if its not shared.

:blah: huh? Try reading comprehension.

the question is ripping the media from a CD for personal use in an mp3 player.

Installing Windows on an additional device (laptop) for personal is the same thing.

We are not talking about license to distribute the music / Windows.

I know that I have legally used the portable device clause of MS EULA to install windows on another PC.
Beyond that, I’ve had to call MS call activation call center to get a Key for this process at least three times to install onto another PC, told them I was using my retail disc to install on a Laptop, they said okay and give me a key. Once a person challenged me on it, then referred to EULA and gv me a key.

:gotme:

That is, in fact, exactly what we’re talking about.

Analogy Time:

You buy a cd, you buy the right to play the cd (in compact disc form). You buy Windows you buy the right to install the cd on one desktop and one portable device.

Got it?

Ok, here’s the wrinkle. Just like Windows, you do not (according to the RIAA argument) have the right to enjoy that cd in any other form. You can play the cd on your computer (presumably with DRM), or in your car, your portable cd player. But not on cassete/8track/LP/mp3 form. So, just like software you have bought ONE instance of this music good for your enjoyment here or on the go. Just like Windows if you want to use it again on something other than a CD player, your have to buy it again. i.e. you want to install Windows on another computer. This really is their argument, They’ve modeled it on the arguments made by software makers years ago.

One thing that even software makers usually give you are free updates. That is, if ILCisDead buys Britney Spears album he doesnt get her “updates”, or new albums as well. Another real problem is that software makers give you a EULA, which you must accept to install. But the RIAA is trying to slip this in retroactively, they never gave you a contract, now they want to force one on you.

For the record the RIAA can fuck themselves, fair use is an established right.

RIAA gets a :picard:, and to them :wtf:?
damn now i got to keep my mp3 player hidden when i go to the fucking store… anyone else in side the recording indrustry see the stupidaty here? or are they the dumbest smucks that walked the face of the earth?

Haha, I was waiting for somebody to say that. Right on man. I think the best part about that, where the guy was talking the boys through (if i remember this correctly) and showing how the lives of the celebs have changed all because they downloaded the music. How brittney spears had to slightly downgrade her private jet. Thats prime…lol

eh, i suppose it could be viewed as ditribution, but that is an aweful slim stance.

Well fuck them then, whenever I have a gift card for Borders, etc, instead of buying a CD or two, I’ll buy a few books.