1.5 Million Dollar Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/148/minnesota-mom-hit-with-15-million-fine-for-downloading-24-songs/

Ouch

Serves her right for stealing. It is what it is though.

Rah rah rah don’t steal songs rah rah rah.

Fuck that, I’m not paying for music. I’ll happily listen to my 257984257 songs for free. Plz and thx.

I love her legal argument. “Had I just purchased them they would have been $24 so that’s what the fine should be”.

I should try that at Best Buy. Walk in, try to walk out with a 60" LCD, and if they catch me just go, “ok, I’ll just pay for it” and claim that should be the end of it. In her case it’s worse though, because she didn’t just download them she also shared them.

1.5 million is stupid but it looks like the RIAA has given her multiple opportunities to end this for a guilty plea and a fine but she refuses to accept anything that isn’t $24. For that, fuck her.

No plz don’t, have you seen her picture? Donotwant.

The way I see it, it is sharing, but legally, I guess not. She stole 2 cd’s basically. She should be punished as if she walked into wal mart and stole 2 cds. A misdemeanor and whatever light fine may go with that.

24 songs is NOT the whole story. She’s already been in trouble for this once before. 1700 Green Day songs. They fined her 1.9 million, then got that 1.9 million dropped to 54,000 by another judge. THEN they appealed the 54,000!!! They dropped it from 1.9 MILLION to 54 thousand, and she still had the nerve to appeal it.

Then it happened again, and guess what, they fucked her again. They even stated in the article they have no intention of collecting the money, that they just want her to take responsibility for it and stop.

These sums are outrageous, and the money doesn’t even go tot he artists. The RIAA and MPAA takes the case money and uses it to sue other people. Why is it always people who have shared like 10 songs, you never hear of anyone getting caught with like 45,000 songs. That would probably be more money than Bill Gates could pay off.

That’s not really the case here though. She was caught SHARING, which means she didn’t just walk into Walmart and steal a CD. She walked in, stole a CD, then started giving away bootleg copies of it to anyone who asked. You can try to justify it all you want, but that’s what file “sharing” is. It’s why I gave up on file sharing and torrents and went another route where all I do is download. RIAA/MPAA doesn’t care about downloaders, they care about the people uploading and giving away their copyrighted stuff.

yup, downloaders for the most part can hit and run and be fine

especially over SSL enabled connections :slight_smile:

The only music that I buy is directly from artists at live shows. I currently OWN about ten cd’s.

exactly, I support up and coming artists by going to the shows, buying tshirts, and cds at the live shows, that way the money goes directly (mostly) to that artist. L

**Looks like I’ll be getting rid of my upload folder on file sharing, seems that its the safer thing to do?

Compared to music buyers, music sharers (pirates) are…

• 31% more likely to buy single tracks online.
  • 33% more likely to buy music albums online.
  • 100% more likely to pay for music subscription services.
  • 60% more likely to pay for music on mobile phone.

http://www.vincentchow.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/piracy.png

I downloaded frostwire and upon installation it asked if I would like to uncheck the sharing of sensitive file types… I didn’t really look into my settings yet, I definitely want to cover my ass and make sure not to share anything.

I’m curious how much all of her courts appeals have cost tax payers?

limewire frostwire is the last place I’d want to share my files. On soulseek I only share my music folder which is on it’s own independent drive. Torrents are even better cause you limit it to the source directory.

I make too much money to bother stealing music, that $100-200 a year I would save stealing is not worth the BS if I happen to get caught.

X…