Its not Vista its McAfee.

So Ive run into a Vista problem for some time. I cant run P2P on it, no Frostwire, no limeWire, no Morphes… so Ive been looking for anything but aprently its not Vista its the McAfee… but I really dont want to unistall my Firewall and Virus protection… oh great

It hasnt been to bad of a problem as Ive been using my old laptop for downloading but I just gave that to my G/F so What do I do. unload McAfee and get symantec, like I ran on my XP?

get AVG and just use windows firewall

if u must have anti-virus, its the best way

+1 for AVG and windows firewall.

No way I’d ever install Symantec anymore. I don’t like allocating 500 meg of ram for something that just sits there.

Symantec Corp FTW

fucking werd. especially that im too poor to uprade my ram

hmm aprently my verson of symantec wont run on Vista GREAT.

yeah, only the newest one will

AVG man, do it

ya I have AVG now… I might go back to Symantec later but I guess this will do.

oh and Frostwire works great :slight_smile:

Why not just use the built in virus protection?

I know a lot of programs are having huge conflicts despite being “Vista” ready…

oh you mean vista was pushed out when it wasn’t ready?!?! go figure.

lol are you guys trying to install WinXP based symantec on Vista?

For sure on that statement. Symantec and McAfee are resource hogs. Are you behind a router? If so, that has a built-in firewall. Worried about viruses? Use Firefox and time to time visit trendmicro.com and run their house call app. I have not had any AV program for about 5 years now and never had any issues. The issue with symantec products is that once their installed, it’s a pain in the sack to remove them.

you could just download symantec corp off a torrent or something

Well. Symantec consists of a virus scan, real time protection, and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo services.

If you go into the services, you can turn off the real time protection… thats the hog.

I’ve used avg in the past, its my favorite.

Avast a close second.

My brother just bought a new dell x2 lappy with vista, so he’s going to run into alot of problems.

I’m going to wipe all that dell bs off the laptop, and install the stuff i would use.

yeah symantec corporate is a good product but i dont like real-time monitoring. ide prefer to just run a scan every now and then. it is never able to remove the viruses anyways, so u always have to look up the removal instructions and do it manually. so u can just run the scan, find the viruses, then manually delete them. thats the only thing that will really work

well to be honest, if you are not going to run the real time protection there is no point in having symantec anti virus. At least the real time will stop the first instance of an intrusion.

Some viruses like many of you know replicate themselves, where a scan may find them. good luck deleting them, once a restart (usually based off a service or process starting up) the virus, will replicate with a random name. some times point to a random directory.

Once you get to that point your computer is pretty fucked, and a real time protection would have caught it, and would have stopped it in the first place.

So its really All Firewall, closely monitored, and not doing stupid shit.

Or

Having real time protection. Personally, I’ve never used AVG, So i should check it out soon, and see how it runs

Oh and the symantec Client security, Lets not even go there, ICK

When you call your router a “firewall” its usually stopping traffic coming into your computer because of how it does NAT.

Your router usually won’t stop out going connections from your computer.