AV/AS/FW V. Vista

Girlfriend got a new lappy, Hp thing. Its Vista, Im an XP guy myself. I loaded it up with AVG free Spybod S&D with TeaTimer and ZoneAlarm. The thing bogged down, wouldnt load webpages, internet was slow as balls.

I did this to prevent her from paying like $100 for norton, but i made it worse.

What programs are good for Vista that are free, and wont bog the system donw.

downgrade, vista alone is the problem.
I upgraded my desktop to twice the memory with vista and it still sucked balls, went back to xp sp3, thing is like a whole new machine.

for anti-virus get avast works great on vista, or just get a XP torrent and not worry about any of it

I have XP Legit. Im not sure i want to do that yet

:picard: No don’t downgrade the OS on a brand new laptop.

Antivirus software can only do so much. Whenever you make anything idiot proof God builds a better idiot.

You know how wear two rubbers is actually less safe than wearing one? Ditch everything but AVG and remind her to never click anything to claim her winnings or scan her computer for viruses.

Until LZ or someone else who actually knows explains, I would assume that all those e-condoms on top of built in windows firewalls are battling for who gets to be the bouncer at the door.

but PCs don’t get viruses…

Windows Firewall should be more then enough you shouldn’t need zonealarm.

Just have her use Firefox(with adblock) + Autoupdates daily + Whatever free AV you want to run(Avast, AVG, whatever)

Vista is pretty secure if you leave the firewall + UAC on.

If you do go the downgrade route make sure you can find all the drivers before…

Lastly take a look at what programs are running on startup with msconfig and also what services there is enough tweaking that can be done to make it quick…You can probably change some of the user experience stuff to make it run quicker.

are you sure you deleted the old anti-virus software before installing AVG? I have run AVG on Vista with zero issues.

Thanks LZ.

I dont think its AVG, I imagine is Spybot, teatimer, and zonealarm like fry said, fighting for control.

I will go through her msconfig see what I can tweak. I know i need to stop limewire from starting automaticly, and im sure theres more.

Thanks.

she knows well enough to use firefox and it has adblock and autoupdates itself.

tell her to return it and buy a mac and she won’t ever need any antivirus software again for the rest of her life.

such a worthless and ignorant comment…
http://onni.jkl.fi/%7Elauri/kuvia/not_this_shit_again.jpeg

just got a new HP lappy myself, left the firewall on, and have Avast on it, and it’s been pretty reliable the past few weeks. for the love of god, turn off all the audio and voice prompts for Avast, scared the crap out of me when it went off in the middle of the night. VIRUS PROTECTION HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!

Buy a Mac :tup:

Macs walk on water you say?

if they want in, it’s just a matter of time.

No way?! OMG?!?

So they patched them already…