Japan hit by massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake

Food for thought

WOW^^ And RIP to all the poor people in japan.

I always knew lane splitting is dangerous…:rofl

So is crossing double yellow :lol

Yeah this is some serious shit going on over there right now. I’ve had the broadcast on all day at the shop. They’ve estimated that the wave was as high as 30 feet in some areas.

currently some major issues with a ~ four decade old nuclear reactor overheating and unable to control the cooling and reaction. Missing FOUR complete passenger trains. They have no idea where they are. Entire trains and all their occupants…

there has been footage of parking lots of cars that have been pushed into massive piles of twisted metal, all burning. Some of the arial footage makes it look like a damn marina

horrible horrible shit going on right now.

[LEFT]dad was also telling me over lunch that despite the warnings and broadcasts of a 7-8 foot wave approaching our west coast in Cali and Oregon, people were STILL walking and joggin right at the shore and beaches. There was footage of some parents walking their little kid down by the waters edge. fucking christ!!!

Apparently some dumb ass was swept away in Cali while taking footage/pics of the approaching wave. stupid people.

[/LEFT]

That was probably the dumbest post ever.

Like Vlad said, pretty sure the US has natural disasters also…or do you not remember a couple years ago a little hurricane name Katrina?

Let me correct that, thank God i live in duanesburg! :lol On a serious note, sounds like an extreme situation over there, rip to the ones lost.

Remember when there was an earthquake outside Ottawa Canada and it shook the ground here…? I wonder if we will get some ground shaking action here as an effect of that earthquake/plates moving?

Almost as bad as some of the roads in the town of Colonie

Hahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahha hahahaha haha ha ha…ha

:rofl +rep

Well a nuclear plant saw an explosion today after the cooling system failed.

Well that’s just fucking great. You know the anti-nuclear jackasses are going to be all over this worldwide, saying shit like “well see if the japanese can’t build it right then nobody should use it” :Idiots

I was hoping they would get it under control, but they couldn’t get enough water to the core to get the temp down.

They say its nothing serioius as of now, the walls collapsing actually lowered the radiation levels. Although they could be covering shit up so people dont panic

During Chernobyl they said a few people dead, everything is fine and we are cleaning up the mess.

Let’s hope it’s not the same case.

20 mi radius evacuated

Well hopefully if it even comes to that they’ve learned a thing or two from Chernobyl and can get it taken care of quickly.

It’s a light water reactor, so there shouldn’t be any major issues with it, at least nothing even close to what happened in Chernobyl.

Over 50 nuclear plants in Japan… This one had to endure a force enough to shift the island’s coast by more than 7 feet. And no direct structural failure. I’d say that’s still a pretty darn good accomplishment engineering wise. One oversight is thought to be the planning of location for the emergency pumps driven by the emergency diesel generators for the shutdown cooling supply. The emergency pumps may have been in a location that was swamped by the tsunami… Possibly poor planning, as a tsunami is likely to accompany an event powerful enough to trigger automatic shutdown of the plant due to vibration.

Highly possible. Big Japanese companies as a rule are driven by high levels of bureaucracy and oftentimes it takes a long time for a decision to be made. And until that time little information is released. In the power (and nuclear industry), Japan does not have a great track record of reporting “incidents” right away either. (Unfortunately) I can say this based on actual experience.

With a light water reactor, loss of coolant will of course result in temperature rise (which is why the explosion occurred in the first place). I’m no expert on nukes, but I don’t think the reaction can continue. I think one of the dangers is if/by how much the reactor was breached, and what are the true impacts of the radiation in what was released.

Let’s pray for the people of Japan and those that were affected.

I am shaking just watching the coverage, any type of minor damage to the power plant should cause major concern especially in a country that is so densely populated. If anyone still recall how Chernobyl happen, you will see how any seeming minor events or mishaps can potential be deadly…