Japan hit by massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake

:lol:rofl

Fuel rods are now fully exposed again…not looking too good.

Source?

CNN/Kyodo News

Edit:
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77870.html

Ok, so the fuel rods are “at one point” fully exposed, but it is now partially covered in sea water once they found out about the sudden drop in Plant #2. Looks like they are running out of pumps…

This recent explosion was a steam explosion on reactor #2, not 1 or 3 that they were currently having issues with, when the cooling pumps lost power(speculated that the gens ran out of fuel) It’s big, very big. This is essentially the same explosion that fractured the reactor at chernobyl, but again they had NO containment and the massive secondary explosion from the moderator is what was REALLY bad then. The Japanese were trying to vent off steam pressure(lightly radioactive i might add) when the pumps failed. Being a BWR, it’s a low pressure reactor, but STILL upwards of ~800-1000psi, so it’s no laughing matter. PWR’s run upwards of 23-2500psi.

Exposed fuel rods don’t necessarily mean it’s to atmosphere. Exposure can mean the rods are exposed to anything other than the coolant moderator. Can mean the pressure vessel is ruptured. However that kind of explosion is NOT good. :’(

Understand that the CV’s or containment vessels are built to take these type of explosions and contain the reactor core in the event of a meltdown and steam explosion of this magnitude. If they’re not, then their purpose is completely null and void to begin with. that’s not saying that there can’t be some fluke thing, but they’re built to take abuse none the less.

They are currently trying to piece the PV’s and flood the coolant in. Last I heard early this morning, the techs and scientists did in fact state they think that the reactor is in a state of meltdown and the fuel rods are a fluid mass or on the verge of such a state.

:frowning:

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol Oh man that’s so true!! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

That is what I have been hearing all morning myself, that the 1 and 3 reacotrs are in a meltdown state already. I also keep hearing that the containment on one reactor has been destroyed in the explosion but Im not sure if they are just talking about the containment building or the vessel and if the exposed rods means to the atmosphere or what. I would imagine exposed rods would see a huge radiation spike if it was to the atmosphere

I think it is probably the plant building, like #1 and #3. If the actual containment vessel is breached, it will be a dooms day scenario and I am sure we will hear about it.

ABC news just confirmed that Japan’s government has released a statement that one of the reactors has indeed had a partial meltdown and water levels for colling another reactor are dangerously low and it is beggining to over heat as well.

They are testing citizens who decided not to evacuate for radiation at clinics now

So basicly theres 3 reactors with failing systems. 2 of which are critical.

Bye Bye Japan

But really. Regardless of if they get it under control, it sounds like there is going to be some damage to the surrounding area immediately outside the plant.

There are 6 reactors with failing systems at 2 diferent plants as I was told be a GE engineer being shipped out there last night

To make things even worse, they have endured 44 aftershocks since monday morning over 6.0, three have been over 7.0

As of right now CNN is reporting that the rods in the number 2 plant are fully exposed. THe other 2 reactors have some exposure

Everything I’ve read says the reactors are unstable, but haven’t leaked any sort of major radiation, and the chances of a chernobyl style meltdown, or anything close to it are very slim.

They’re still fully contained though.

I think this is a good recap of how the power plant get to its current state after the quake:

yeah I think by fully exposed they are talking about there is no collant or water in the reactor core. Which will quickly lead to meltdown

Correct, they are not venting to the outside world, but exposed within the reactor causing heat/pressure build up