Jeg on the Economy

In JEG’s defense, this was originally part of a thread about cartoons. :stuck_out_tongue:

lmfao

Touche lol.

If the GDP is on the rise , partly due to deficit spending, then how is that not manipulation of the numbers? If the government is throwing in the money to make the GDP rise, then what happens when they don’t? I completely understand the whole “priming the pump” until it is self sustaining theory. The point I am trying to make is that the economy is not on the rise. The very fact that the government is pumping money into it shows that it is not, it just manipulates the numbers so people like Joe can hump their leg and sleep better at night. There is nothing wrong with “priming the pump”, if done correctly. Unfortunately, that is NOT what they are doing. Now if they had been using said trillions of dollars to, oh I dunno, actually create jobs…then yes. This would hold true, because now people are working, which means they have continual income to spend, which guess what, stimulates the economy. But with employment on the decline, tax revenue on the decline, a rising deficit, and people not spending as much, this is not the case. They are just throwing money into the growing hole that is the current economic state, hoping that it will stick and patch it over. Which is a great temporary fix, but a temporary fix is just that, temporary. What happens when people are no longer fooled by all these bailouts, and realize that the government is giving away their tax money like candy on Halloween? What happens when the stimulus “obama money” is gone? You then have to raise taxes to make up for it, which then leaves people in a worse financial state then they were in to begin with, and the problem starts all over, but this time it is worse. Its like puting duct tape over a hole in a tire. Sure it might work for a little while. But what happens when you’re driving down the highway and that patch wears out and there is nothing left to fix it?

Give a man a fish and you feed for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Handing out money to people to spend to stimulate the economy is not going to create permanent jobs, or stabilize the economy. All it ensures is the calm before the storm.

it always mystifies me how the government can just “create jobs” …especially when I see so many local governments with shrinking budgets.

Driving down to Florida in September I saw a pretty long string of “This project funded by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act” signs in various construction zones in various states. That was the clearest example I’ve seen.

Which is exactly what we need. That right there is what will stimulate the economy, not acting like a father giving his kida $20 to buy mom a bday gift. Now if they can do that ( create infrastructure/construction jobs) on a larger scale. It would be great. It would give people a steady income, which is what is needed.

well, that’s great and all, but I wish we weren’t spending so much borrowed money to create these jobs.

lesser of 2 evils I suppose, I am always torn on which one is it though.

Put any figurehead into office, he would have fallen right into a shit storm as well. Its not just Obama, and I don’t even like the guy.