Johnnie Knoxville Detroit Documentary

Problem is if you got money there seems to be a lot of greasing to get it all done (see ex-mayor and part of the city council in jail). You can see some of these companies are just doing it real slow to avoid popping up on the radar.
The train station seems to have a lot of force behind it to save, but it has been approved to be knocked down a couple times I just don’t think they have the money to knock it down.

Most houses, historical or not, if vacant are housing drug dealers and the like, so most people would rather them torn down than sit vacant.

Great video, and although I don’t like the general hipster, it’s because the majority of them lack conviction and reek of un-originality and contempt for anyone not like them. They can keep their sub culture. I do however like the fact of people working together to make something happen regardless of what societal bent they are. This was refreshing to see, it makes me feel like if it can happen there it can happen here. I wish there was a little more positivity from our local community or maybe there is just the same just less numbers? Not sure but thanks for posting this.

I’m sure it’s the same level, but the situation is different.

I think Detroit is MUCH worse off than Buffalo, but in a way it gives them an advantage. As the one restaurant owner said, he saw this progression in Detroit;

• Prosperity
  • Businesses leave
  • “White” people leave
  • “Black” people leave
  • No one is left
  • 200 white kids on bikes show up
  • Rebuilding starts

In Buffalo we’re only at step #3. Someday we’ll see those 200 white kids on bikes… someday…

I think that’s about right, except I think the businesses leave after the white people leave.