Just baught a.....

1987 Porsche 944 non turbo today for 100 bucks. car was gunna be impounded and i couldnt pass it up.

body on the car is flawless except for 2 minor areas of surface rust. sunroof leaks and the major problem is that the timing belt broke and the kid thinks it could have bent the valves. i dont know this for sure yet because i have not have the time to tear down the motor.

i know there are some porsche guys on here. i would like a lil info if possible. if the car needs head work done to it is it worth it to just get a different motor(ie turbo) or just rebuild whats in it. i dont know to much about the 944’s, so can some ppl take me to school and teach me some shit about the car?

any and all info is greatly appreciated

thanks

im not a porsche guy at all, but something tells me you have a loong loong road ahead of you.

Good luck

:tup: good find.

i had a 1984 944 non-turbo, i dont know a whole hell of a lot about them, but i know my fair share. if u need a hand working on it, feel free to let me know. id love to work on one again!

also, u really should get ahold of MPD47, hes the 951 and 944 GOD. my friend tim (TRP951) also knows a lot about them. awsome deal on the car though, you will love it!

I couldve sworn that you said that yours was slow as hell before when you had it :wtf:

I dont know how handy you are but if I were you I would put an LS1 in it

i know that i have a long road ahead of me and that is perfectly fine. i know its gunna take awhile. and yes they are slow(0-60 in 8.7) but they are supposidly good at handling which i dont doubt.

not fast at all, but they handle and brake amazing and the weight ballance is something like 60/40 so they are really fun to drive though the twisties. theres a few things you can do to pick up thr pace a little bit on them. nothing i ever did on mine though.

the timing belt is a HUGE pain on 944s. But for $100 i guess you really couldn’t go wrong, swap a new engine in there.

for 100 bucks i’d even throw it on ebay as a non running car.

I bet some yuppie has more than 100 bucks for it.

LOL, what do you think it is, your truck?

Try +/- 2% 50/50 balance

this yuppie would give you more than 100 bucks

Timing belts on the n/a arent that hard at all its the turbo which is a PITA just like alot of the other stuff to do on them since there is very little room in the turbo engine bay

anyone have any good incite on what i should do with this thing?

or any good sites i could check out?

i was gonna say 50/50 but i knew it wasnt exactly that, and couldnt remeber exactly what it was. i knew it was somewhat close though.

60/40 and 50/50 are not “close”

:rofl:

Anyways back on topic. Nice find. :tup:

Rennlist is the best 944 source available. Pelican is a waste of time and 6speed doesnt cover 944’s (to cheap). Dont bother modding an NA, it’s a complete waste of time. Swapping a turbo engine in isnt worth your money. The only options you have, leave it stock, swap a 968 engine in (I know of one, race prepped, incredibly strong for $4500 ready to drop in) or swap an LS1 (your best choice). As for the head, get a used one for a couple hundred bucks and slap it on.

sorry for not making myself clear. “i knew it was close [to being a 50/50 split] though” i was thinking more like 55/45 or something but decided to overcompensate

troof.jpg

EDIT: ohhhh red X

EDIT2: i mean a really big fucking red x

i like the way this man thinks.

that would make for a real nice car