thoughts on a porsche 944

im going to be selling my honda and looking to start another project in a whole different direction.

ive been very interested in the porsche 944’s but never had one enter the shop i work at so i never had a chance to see how they are built or chance to see what they have to offer. prices seem to be ok for replacement parts. but here major work can be tough.

so can i have quick view on what to look for in these befor i get knee deep into something i dont want.

i wouldn’t even bother unless it was turbo’ed and even then…meh

MPD should be able to lend you some good advice.

Turbo S. At least a turbo with lsd.

Turbo S is a waste of coin. NA is a horrible waste for a street car (but a great base if you want a dedicated track car). S2, kinda meh. Turbo, great car, but budget 2-5k per year in maintenance. I think shop time for a turbo replacement is like 14 hours, but the rate for pulling the motor is like 6. hahaha. Unless you do you own work, and have another car for a daily, avoid. Having had a few, and being financially more stable than I was when I owned a couple… I still want one, but can’t justify the cost.

Lol. I have 2 at the shop now. One turbo and one non.

I had a turbo S and loved it because it was awesome without having to “mod” it. You can build up a regular turbo car if you want but if you just want a great car out of the box…

Anyone consider the LS1 swap? I’d imagine its well documented by now. The 944 weighs like 2600 lbs and has near 50/50 weight distribution.
Or is it a nightmare swap with ridiculous technicalities?

People have done it but I would imagine you are adding weight when you can easily get a ton of power from the stock engine.:gotme:

Uhhg, stock they are sooooo slow. Minimum needs are chip, exhaust, wastegate.

Do you like replacing gearboxes?

i dont know much about them, but a guy i got my seat from had a super nice 74 911 carrera s or something. bright orange original paint color, i thaught it was pretty sharp…says nothing about what your asking about but, its just my 2 cents on the brand…lol…

thanks to everyone. theres only o few on craigslist but they dont impress me much cause they are both automatic. i just want something to drive around in the summer and mod it a tad and drop it cause they look really nice with a drop.

Could get a Z31 300ZX Turbo :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re cheap, they look good (IMO, though many disagree), they’re VERY affordable to maintain, and you can make ~250whp with a K&N air filter, straight pipe in place of the muffler, and a $5 manual boost controller set to 10psi…

I like how the Porsches look, but have never been a fan of their reliability…or lack of it.

You could get a Z31, but then you’d suck at life and look poor.

i like how they look, but my bud had about 15 of them (him and his father have a used car dealership), it couldnt pull on my factory neon, but i couldnt pull on him either

LOL. Its one of the better 80s sports cars, definitely one of the cheapest and easiest to maintain, generally in better condition than the others, and with a $5 manual boost controller its quicker/faster in a straight line than any of the others, while handling just as well. Much of the S13 and Z32 aftermarket will work with it. If you budget 2-5k per year for maintenance, you’ll be left over with 2-5k minus cost of oil changes to put towards improving the performance of the car.

By all means though, buy a 944…my friends hardly ever left the driveway where it was constantly being fixed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190477670510&viewitem=

local

^^^^on transit road just north of lincoln ave on right side. atleast thats where it was when i saw it and judging by the pictures(except infront of mansion on locust st)

looked really nice from the road when i drove by a few weeks back. i love these cars, just cant justify the cost for what it is.

haha, it’s the Japanese C4 Vette.

Its also the Japanese 944…lol

The 944 is in the same class as the Z31, FC RX7, MK3 Supra, Conquest/Starion, etc…

If you had just said FC, you’d be correct, but since you included complete piles of shit in there (Z31, Conquest), and a significantly larger car (MK3, which is more of a cruiser than a sports car anyway). You’re totally wrong.