some ?`s about porsche 944

So i have the oppurtunity to pick up my uncles 1986 944, it has 81,000 miles on it. Red on black 5 speed. He is going through a divorce and the car just sits in his garage. I mean he wants to sell it to me dirt cheap hes loaded anyways. I always loved the way these cars looked so im pretty tempted to pick it up or just put more money into the vw. What kind of maintence work should be done and is there anything i should know. I dont want to pick it up and just have it be a huge money pit. I just want to enjoy driving it, maybe just wheels and suspension. Any input would be appreciated.

Timing belt is a big one. A clutch probably needs to have been done in it’s life, but may still be ok. Those are both pretty expensive jobs. I assume this is an NA?

It probably needs some suspension lovin’ since it’s old.

How cheap is dirt cheap?

How often was it driven and maintained?

Do you have $2-3k to put into it in the next year?

MPD mike is the mam to talk to about these cars…

buy this, If you don’t want it I’ll take it :wink:

NA or turbo?

he bought it in 2001, drove it the summer of 2002, and after that it has been garage kept. The clutch was replaced at 70,000 that i know. I figured the timing belt would have to be done, and i planned on putting on a decent suspension set up and wheels and tires on it. By dirt cheap i mean 1k lol but i mean that is the family discount.

Yes it is the NA

buy buy buy buy

im thinking about it. Or thats some nice hids for the jetta. =/

I’d pay $1k for it but have 2-3k set aside for when you need to fix things. The timing belt job will be $$$ alone, since it takes a specialized shop to do it (they need the correct tensioning tool). Or, you can replace the belt yourself and take it to be tensioned.

Put an LSx in it. :lol:

X…

owning a vw, i know all about these special tools you need. it sucks. I think im going to pick it up and just make it a little project. I love the way they look and its kind of a to good of a deal to pass up.

Im a broke college student, no lsx here lol

A broke college student should be driving a mid to late 90’s honda.

A 944 boarders on the exotic car class in my book.

The only thing I would do with that 944 is offer to sell it on ebay for him and take a commission.

im not broke, but not enough money to do any crazy swaps is what i ment. lol

just buy it,

he’s not broke

i think im going to, and whatever money i can, im just going to put into this and maybe try auto x it for the hell of it.

Dan how you feel about doing a timing belt on it? lol ill buy some hennipen or however you spell it =)

^ when Steve-o gets back in the states I’m down

:tup:

uncle just came over, he said when he gets through with all the other divorce bullshit we can get it all figured out. So basically its mine. Should be a fun project. Anyone know any good sites to join?

rennlist

yeah rennlist is the big one I can help answer some questions if mike isnt around busy chopping some car apart. Ive done all the work on my 951 including timing belt, clutch change (PITA), taken the head off, turbo swap 2x and much more