Just picked up a Porsche 944

I got really lucky getting this vehicle. It’s a 1983 Porsche 944 with 73K original miles. The car came with the complete vehicle history, to include the original bill of sale. I can track every oil change form 1983 until 2011. All of the major services were done in the last few years, like the timing belt, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, SPEC flywheel, motor mounts, ect. This vehicle is unmolested. I was going to just flip this car, but it’s in such great shape and well maintained, I’ll probably keep it.

Stupidly clean. Nice pick up.

i feel like this is an episode of Phil Wagner circa 2002

When were the timing and balance shaft belts last done, both date and mileage-ago? Record of replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys with the belts, and record of re-tension? Have owned a few of these myself and am a p-car mechanic through and through. Belts are notorious for dryrotting and/or getting soaked with oil, leading to ~$3000 worth of engine damage. Parts are cheap and the belt service and tension takes about 2 hours.

Just had a customer come in with one that the balance shaft belt was so loose on it I could rotate it ~360 degrees between shafts and was rubbing the t-belt bigtime.

Great car though. Drive the balls off this thing would ya. Don’t pamper it.

Wow this thing is mint. Amazing summer weekend cruiser.

i love those cars , well the looks anyway , that’s a perfect clean candidate for an ls1 t56 swap . But sweet car rando.

Very nice. More pics.

install gt30r
drive
???
profit

moaaaar pics

awesome! always liked the 944. looks super clean.

Mint, dont see too many 944’s that still look that great.

How reliable are these 944 turbos? Ive known a few people that have had them and theyve made some pretty quick cars with minimal mods but one of them seemed like it was never running.

You are just a glutton for horrible reliability punishment.

You really need to expand your mind past GM v8 shit…the stock engine and drivetrain are designed with weight and balance in mind, not balls out power. A perfect 50/50 weight ratio can easily be thrown off by a big pushrod V8 and cause the car to handle worse, all for an extra what? 80hp? This is a porsche not a 240. Keep that in mind.

Rando, I love everything about this and expect a rid in it sir

this car looks cunt worthy.

Nice! Always liked the look of these.

Sidenote: Shut up Ern.

stupid clean, nice pick up

The timing belt was done in may 5th this year, no mileage on reciept. The balance shaft belt was done 6/27/02 53514 miles. I have a receipt for the tensioner pulleys from 2010. I’m going to go through it this weekend and do all the preventive maintenance on it. I’m pretty sure it needs a new fuel filter. This hasn’t been replaced in the last decade. I got the car this Monday. I’ll post some more pics of it once we get some decent weather and I can detail it.

Replace the balance shaft belt, it’s old. Factory spec was ~50K miles, almost all will tell you 3 years/30K miles is the rule of thumb for those requiring a mechanic to do the work. I always replaced mine at 15-20K. T belt is like $25, balance shaft belt is a ~$40 part that can cause thousands in damage if it slips and takes out the timing belt behind it. 944’s are reliable if you’re on top of the maintenance. Sadly most are highly neglected and will typically cost you a couple grand right up front in repairs.

Idlers should be fine then, if you’re in there check them for excessive laterla movement, and spin them. If they freewheel for more than 1-2 seconds the bearings are dry and should be replaced. The pulleys range from $20-50 each pending what ones are needed. Being an '83 it has the mechanical tensioner, hence why I asked about the re-tension on the belts(should be done no more than 500 miles after belts changed)

None of my old Porsches ever let me down, but then I’m a p-car nut and mechanic and was always on top of things.

Keep it and maintain it. Drive the shit out of it. This one is good in that the original rubber puck clutch is gone. might want to consider a transaxle fluid change if it hasn’t been done in the past 30K miles. Gearbox internals are common Audi 016 parts, cheap, but still should keep up on the fluid. Being an '83 check the front lower control arm ball joints for play as well.

Blah blah blah from me. enjoy the car, I know I would :slight_smile:

-adam on JVG’s computer

Gorgeous. Love 944’s. Have fun with it!

do you realize , well i guess you dont , too busy painting your rims :giggle, but the gm ls1 probably weighs very close to whats in that 944 now .

A ls1 will keep it right around 50/50

You piss me off online too , your such a dork online and much better in person , you have no clue what your talking about. ugh rant .