Just picked up a Porsche 944

lmost all 944 owners agree that this platform is one of the most fantastic handling cars ever built! BUT, most normally aspirated and turbo 944 owners have dreamt of a big turbo engine upgrade to get that badly needed horsepower the 944 has always seemed to lack. When they get estimates of the cost of a high performance turbo motor upgrade plus installation, and they consider the poor reliability & performance record of the ‘built’ turbo motors, the dream almost never becomes a reality.

Renegade Hybrids has a solution using the General Motors LS Series all aluminum fuel injected V8. Starting at over 335 HP stock, this abundant late-model engine series has become our best pick for more horse power in the 944 conversions. Plus, the all aluminum LS series power plants are actually slightly lighter than a turbo 944 engines. This means you get greater power and reliability at less weight and cost. This is precisely why the 944 is now the most popular German car to convert using a V8 on the planet.

Renegade Hybrids and Turn Key Engine Supply have teamed up to develop a specific engine package for each of our new LS-series conversions including the 944. With a new engine (not rebuilt), equipped with a complete stand alone FI system, the computer already programmed, a harness already custom built, the proper accessories installed, the correct exhaust manifolds provided, dyno tuned to your desired HP, and backed by a iron-clad warranty, this option must be very expensive… right? No way. We have new 410HP motors ready to ship for under $8000 with our discount! Don’t believe it, take a look:here

We have had many customers come to us after spending 10’s of thousands of dollars for that ‘Big Turbo Motor’ I referred to previously. Sure, the initial investment into the engine and turbo upgrades to exceed 300+ HP was a moderate $9,000.00, but the maintenance costs quickly exceeded that figure in as little as a few months. Then, with the issue of reliability leaving you stranded and embarrassed, or dead at the track after paying entry fees, our customers couldn’t wait to drop-kick the four cylinder in favor of the Chevy V8.

NOTE: The SBC and LT conversion kits have been discontinued in favor of the LS series kits. Some support parts are still available so please inquire. For 924 owners (excluding '87-'88 924S) looking to do a conversion, 924 kits are not available. We found that the 924 platform could not properly support the cumbersome “U” shaped motor mount that is required. Plus, you would need to change the brakes, the torque tube, transaxle, “CV” axles, and the whole clutch pedal assembly, which adds greatly to the difficulty of the conversion. If you attempted to retain the 924 drive train, not only was it too weak for even a mild V-6, but the gear ratios were very short. A $500 944 would be a better platform to consider in doing the conversion.

read that ernie , or go here http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

So its damn even and a cunt hair more that a na 944 , gtfo .

If he did that to this clean of a 944 I’d shoot him, and anyone who suggested such a thing. Save that LS swap BS for a junker.

If you’re going to swap a motor into this, you do a 968 3.0 Variocam with the factory six speed.

-Adam

No way. Totally different thinking for me buy it and it’s not a rats nest of wire Abd a mess with rust. Something nice and easy to work on and work with is my thinking. I’d rather spend a little more to get something nice that makes it that much easier to work on. That’s my thinking and I wouldn’t care if it was stock or original.

Looks like a good candidate for this swap.

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/1975_Porsche_911_Targa_Mazda_Rotary_Conversion_Engine_Bay_1.jpg

Nice find Chris!

Jeff why would you suggest him do an engine swap in something he planned to flip? THAT makes no sense. At least to me. You know what its like in the car world, you never get back what you put into them.

That thing looks mint, would love to fall on something like that!

WOW i just read the whole post thinking “since when did jvg own all these porsches and be so into them technically like this??”

then i saw adams name :rofl

SICKKKKKKKKKKK find dude, i’de want a 85.5 or newer but hey , cant go wrong if it was the right price !!

i wanted to get one for so long, just never found a deal and gave up and moved on to other shit. Kind of glad I didnt get one because I never keep up with anything.

[quote I was going to just flip this car, but it’s in such great shape and well maintained, I’ll probably keep it. ][/quote]

if he was going to keep it ernie swap it .

I’m done arguing with you jeff about someone elses car and what he will do with it. I wont be party to fluffing someone elses build thread like mofo’s did in mine.

Rando, I still want a ride. I’m srs

Nice! I would operate that motor vehicle as if I acquired it in an illegal manner.

+rep

Thanks for the info and positive comments! I really don’t get to check the forums much during the week because I work nights and sleep most of my day away. Here’s a couple more pics I just took. I’m in the process of cleaning it up now. The paint has a lot of normal wear and tear from being 28 years old and it has a couple of door dings in it. The only issues I’ve noticed is the cooling fans don’t turn on when they should. They were just replaced, so I’ll have to check and make sure the wiring and relay are good. The car also tends to take a few cranks on a cold start. I contacted the previous owner, he believed the fuel pump may be failing.

if repairs are needed on this car, the guys at autohaus are one of the best shops outside of the dealer to take this type of car too. very cool guys, and know there porsche’s

I will tell katibrew to yank yer nuts off next time I see her Brew :shifty

j/k…I’m far too booked to worry regardless :number1

CR…looking at that picture…be absolutely certain that the MAF is supported. The OEM airbox is not there, that the MAF originally bolted to the airbox via bolts and that’s what supported it(you can see the framework still there)

It’s a barn-door style MAF(not a hotwire) and if it’s being jostled around hard it can move independently from airflow inside and disrupt the signals to the DME.

If it’s not, a simple metal tab bracket from the MAF mouting holes to the metal airbox bracket will suffice in securing it to the car properly.

This car is fucking mint. I’m almost half tempted to make an offer to you to buy it right now

lol, maintiance stuff i’m sure you can do, but with your busy schedule, it’s hard to get you nailed down sometimes for small stuff, or major diagnosis.

i mean lets be real, we both know justin has a new WRX and some full pockets after that wedding… we both know your going to be busy soon

I know, was just busting you balls fella :slight_smile:

Lol, Justin… he’d be on a waiting list into next year with the way my schedule is.

Thanks for that info. The MAF was not supported at all. I removed the CAI to prevent water from being sucked into the engine. I just made a bracket real quick to support it and threw one of my K&N filters on it. I also fixed the hard start issue. It was the fuel pump check valve.

I like the oval dashes much better than the square dash. I really want to keep this car true to its original appearance. I traded the M3 and $500 cash for it. The problem ended up being piston rings. I wasn’t about to put another dime into it, plus my wife was on my back about using her car all the time.

do you even know how much our “push rod v8’s” weigh?