Just got Verizon FIOS

different frequency will still have line latency… i’m sorry, but the size of the fiber is going to limit the amount of light you can bounce through it… period. you should always get a clean signal with no backscatter, as pointed out, it’s direct fiber, partitioning the pipe on dark fiber shouldn’t be all that difficult.

ok… so each line has a quota… what happens when the user base is greater than the amount of people ‘allowed’ on the line… they will drop the speeds and dedicate lines for high speeds and offer them at higher prices… check and see what comcast did in the late 90’s when their user base grew beyond the limitation of copper.

i’m sorry… id ont’ care if the fiber lines are wearing a fubu jacket… lol… the limitation of the line is still going to be the size of the strand.

i’m sorry again… there also is not an ‘unlimited’ amount of upgrades!!! come on!!! you are using a new system with little to no load on it… so the upgrades SEEM unlimited… report back in a year or two when more services are offered and more users are online. … i remember when pentium replaced 486’s and the CPU speed was ‘uncomparible’ to that day’s standards… go download mp3’s and sync your ipod :kekegay: on a p1 and tell me how unlimited that speed upgrade was… LOL 10gb harddrives were used by nasa in the early 90’s… i wouldn’t use one for a door stop these days.

trust me man… i’m not telling you that you are wrong, its your job and i know that you have to know a lot more than me about the subject… but i’m not going to agree that this is ground breaking stuff… i’ve been using fiber at work for years and have seen the ups and downs… i can buy two packs of winterfresh gum or 20 feet of copper line… to get 3ft of 52nm is like 400 bucks, and you use smaller stands so it’s more $$$… and what happens when some dumb gas / water / construction worker digs through your fiber lines???

i remember on 5th ave last year the gas company cut through 5 feet of fiber and copper… the copper was spliced and up by lunch and the fiber literally took 3 or more months to be resliced and lit…