Just got Verizon FIOS

it’s been kinda slow lately i still have 500+ hrs of ot for the year

the only thing limiting the speed is not the end users equipment, but rather the service provider who caps the speed. It’s the same with cable. Remember the old school hacks you could do to the old cable modems to up the speed to some ungodly rate? Does anyone know the actual speed of the cable lines coming into a neighborhood? It would be neat to know.

FIOS is cool and very affordable for what you get. It is funny how everytime something newer comes out, everyone jumps on it’s nuts though. We’ll see how it goes once it’s been around for a few years.

your regular computer can not handle ungodly speeds. i do installs and some people are still running windows 95/98, you’re not going to utilize 15megs, let alone 50/100. now think about if you could get 1000meg service. what pc could utilize it? that’s what i meant by end user’s euip.

as far as seeing how it goes with the fiber in a few years… fiber has been used for a long time now. verizon was the first to bring it to the home, but every telecom company uses fiber for backbones, etc.

I think cable gets unreliable around 40meg but can do an upward of 90-100 meg max. Thats with everything perfect and pushing balls to the wall. But remember … 90% of PA’s copper lines are older than your grandparents. The aged copper isnt really going to support huge speeds. Not only that but the cost that comcast would intell to change over to newer cable and rewire homes to maximize speed would be crazy. FIOS could in theory push 1000 meg if the hardware can do it. Its light , really no limits to the power it can push just technology and money are limiting factors. Verizon doesnt seem to be worried with the last one at this time haha. Its not really who can up the speeds to this or that as of now … In Verizons eyes its who will be able to do it the longest without down time to rebuild the whole system. Comcasts only hope at that time is to go fiber then do the home drops in brand new coax or cat 5e runs.

The higher speed runs would be for mainly mainframe distance backups and teleconf. call (video) ect…
A regular end user has no use to have speeds that high.
Ehhh … We were not the 1st … We were the 1st to offer it in bulk with broadband packages at great deals to end users … But even local TelCove has been doing fiber to homes/business for years but that was all guaranteed speeds OC3,OC12,VT3 ect… so it was 1 fiber line and it cost an ASS LOAD haha.

Who is the backbones for the fios platforms? Latency is definitely a problem some times.

And why block the end user from doing a traceroute?

C:\Documents and Settings\Whitey>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [72.14.207.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  72.14.207.99
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  72.14.207.99
  3     6 ms     7 ms     7 ms  72.14.207.99
  4    14 ms    12 ms    12 ms  72.14.207.99
  5    14 ms    12 ms    14 ms  72.14.207.99
  6    13 ms    14 ms    15 ms  72.14.207.99
  7    18 ms    14 ms    14 ms  72.14.207.99
  8    83 ms   244 ms    22 ms  72.14.207.99
  9    17 ms    17 ms     *     72.14.207.99
 10    35 ms    33 ms    22 ms  72.14.207.99
 11    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  72.14.207.99
 12    48 ms    49 ms    49 ms  72.14.207.99
 13    45 ms    47 ms    47 ms  72.14.207.99
 14    46 ms    46 ms    59 ms  72.14.207.99
 15    48 ms    49 ms    50 ms  72.14.207.99
 16    63 ms    53 ms    52 ms  72.14.207.99
 17    49 ms    49 ms    49 ms  72.14.207.99

Trace complete.

It is not the worst analogy ever…(you baby gorilla):boink …Damn this crowd is tough.

The cable node that all subs run through is basically an electronic switch. (And the older ones are not very good.) Every packet (the traffic) from every sub (the 1400 streets) have to be physically directed (by the one traffic cop). A couple of cars coming down the street and it is no big deal. Once 1100 or 1200 cars make it to the intersection and you can see how things get slowed down. FYI the cable companies used fiber cable and optical nodes more than 20 years ago.

FiOS subscribers have a single fiber running from their house to an optical splitter where they are combined with 8, 16, or 32 other users. The operative word here is PON splitter or Passive Optical Network splitter. There is no electronic switching and no handling of the packets and no slow down.

Nobody, no person, no company, has been able max out the bandwidth of a piece of glass that is less than .25 microns. It is suspected that a single piece of fiber can handle beyond a terabit network.

It takes a copper cable 7’ in diameter to handle 550,000 telephone calls. One fiber has been able to handle that many with no problem.

As grnteg said, it is only the equipment on either end that limits the speed of the fiber network.

Hopefully all of this will lead to more symmetrical connections. Imagine a 10 down and 10 up connection instead of 5/2 or 10/2.

BTW I recently found out that Verizon offers DSL faster than 3.0 Mbps. There is a business class that is 7.1 Mbps.

different frequency will still have line latency… i’m sorry, but the size of the fiber is going to limit the amount of light you can bounce through it… period. you should always get a clean signal with no backscatter, as pointed out, it’s direct fiber, partitioning the pipe on dark fiber shouldn’t be all that difficult.

ok… so each line has a quota… what happens when the user base is greater than the amount of people ‘allowed’ on the line… they will drop the speeds and dedicate lines for high speeds and offer them at higher prices… check and see what comcast did in the late 90’s when their user base grew beyond the limitation of copper.

i’m sorry… id ont’ care if the fiber lines are wearing a fubu jacket… lol… the limitation of the line is still going to be the size of the strand.

i’m sorry again… there also is not an ‘unlimited’ amount of upgrades!!! come on!!! you are using a new system with little to no load on it… so the upgrades SEEM unlimited… report back in a year or two when more services are offered and more users are online. … i remember when pentium replaced 486’s and the CPU speed was ‘uncomparible’ to that day’s standards… go download mp3’s and sync your ipod :kekegay: on a p1 and tell me how unlimited that speed upgrade was… LOL 10gb harddrives were used by nasa in the early 90’s… i wouldn’t use one for a door stop these days.

trust me man… i’m not telling you that you are wrong, its your job and i know that you have to know a lot more than me about the subject… but i’m not going to agree that this is ground breaking stuff… i’ve been using fiber at work for years and have seen the ups and downs… i can buy two packs of winterfresh gum or 20 feet of copper line… to get 3ft of 52nm is like 400 bucks, and you use smaller stands so it’s more $$$… and what happens when some dumb gas / water / construction worker digs through your fiber lines???

i remember on 5th ave last year the gas company cut through 5 feet of fiber and copper… the copper was spliced and up by lunch and the fiber literally took 3 or more months to be resliced and lit…