Just ordered an SCH-i730.

Not the newest nor best smartphone, but for $99 bucks brand new it makes the most sense for me. I’ll be immediately upgrading it to WM5, 520MHz processor, enough memory (60ish available) for me to tack on the 2 or 3 programs that I really want that prompted me to get a smart phone (finance, tasks, already has a better planner than a normal phone), comes with a standard battery, extended battery, cradle, clip, etc. No camera, but I never use the camera on my current cell phone so big deal. WiFi which I might use occassionally. IrDA which I also might use occassionally. (TV remote, there’s an ir port on my laptop that may or may not be good for something. I’ll have to play with it.) Should be here in a couple of days. :slight_smile:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/MobilePhones/Verizon/images/i730duo.gif

Plus if it ultimately doesn’t serve my needs, at $99 bucks I can always ebay it for a profit and buy something else.

Hmm… When I ordered it, the only options were for unlimited data, 10mb data, or pay per kilobyte. How do you get the option to block sending of data? And I assume that since I had to sign up for text messages, text message plan on a smart phone != text message plan that’s part of my voice plan?

website = no block available (normally)

ur fine on the texting, its the same as on voice/regular phone

at least u didnt get a Blackberry :gay3: :gay3: :mamoru: :mamoru: :mamoru:

Booo!!

Booo to you! Is your precious 6700 really worth 200 bucks more?

<-Braces himself for some reason that the i730 sucks that he didn’t know about. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have a 6700 anymore either. I have the Treo 700wx that work gave me for free and I LOVE IT!! Anyway, the i730 is an older phone and it’s big and clunky. It’s bigger than the 6700 which means it’s quite a bit bigger than the 6800. I don’t know if it supports EV-DO and if it does, kudos. It’s got a WM5 update but WM6 is right around the corner and I doubt there will be an upgrade for it for 6. With a little patience, you probably could have gotten a great deal on a WM6 device like the i760 or the XV6800…

Fair enough. I’m actually glad that the points you make are ones that i considered, and can live with. It does support EV-D0, not that I’ll use it much. I can live without WM6 if it means saving $200-500 dollars. I won’t tap half the ability of the phone (probably) but there are a few organizational things that I want to be able to do bad enough that I’ll put up with having a big clunky PDA phone in order to be able to do them.

Thanks for the input!

have you actually played with an i 730? its about the size of a small dog

:rofl:

On the plus side, Jim, you won’t be kicking your own ass if you decide to switch to another device since it was only $99 duckets…

Yeah, that was really the clincher. For 99 bucks it’s worth a shot. As much as I want/need/who-am-I-kidding-want a smart phone, I just couldn’t justify $299+ for one. Not when my car has stock exhaust and my kitchen cabinets are screaming to be replaced…

:lol: I’m cool with playing with small dogs.

Bwahaha I’m going to take a side-by-side shot of my dog and my phone when it comes in. Could make for hilarity. :tup:

Wow, I ordered the thing yesterday at 1pm and it arrived at my house at 4pm today. :jawdrop:

So far so good.

First question? If I go to start->settings->system->version it says “PDA: S:i730WM5.2.6Vblahblahblah”

That means it’s already got WM5 loaded right? So this phone is probably a refurb since it shipped with 2003 from Samsung?

Not necessarily. It sounds like they put a newer build of WM5, 5.2.xxx is AKU 3.X IIRC. Most handsets from Verizon don’t have that recent of an update. If it came in the normal Verizon branded box it’s probably new. I am guessing that Samsung is still shipping this phone until they release the i760 in which time the i730 will be discontinued and ONLY available if you need it replaced in the refurbished variety.

Good deal. So far I like this little thing. Now to RTFM… Thanks for the info. :tup:

take a pic with a pack of gum for comparison. i cant imagine carrying this thing around, someone brough one in recently and ZOMG the box it came in was the size of 2 standard boxes

holy damn those things went way down in price…

Haha will do. :tup:

:word: In their hayday they were around $500 and change…

I’m using trial versions of 2 pieces of software that I do believe I’ll be keeping:
-SPB Pocket Plus - Why the fuck don’t programs close when you “close” them? Why the fuck didn’t Bill Gates put icons on my today screen (aka desktop?)
-SPB Finance - Nicely professional finance software, with a secondary transaction-only interface designed to quickly add transactions with big finger tappable buttons so you don’t even have to pull the stylus.

I might add a bartender guide and (if I can find something) a map program. (Not GPS mind you, just a bunch of maps to look at any time I want.)

Oh, and this little thing recognized a 2gb SD card no problem. I wonder if it would have done 4…

If it supports SD cards, it will read any SD card that is NOT SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity). They do make 4GB cards that will work.

As far as the closing programs thing, they design it that way so you can access them again very quickly. You aren’t going to be rebooting this thing (haha, I know) as often as you would a PC. They do make programs that will as you have found. I really don’t mind that they don’t close. A quick check in the storage icon in the system tools allows you to close them for real.

i remember i was between this phone and the 6700, and this one was MORE expensive than the ppc

my oh my how things changed so quickly…