Just WATCHED a truck roll over

I was on my way to work on I890 headed toward Schenectady and saw what I believe was a new maroon Dodge Ram pulling a 5th wheel car trailer and loaded with two vehicles (one was white) flip over exiting 890 exit 7! Watched the whole thing happen. Looked like maybe he came in too hot.

First time I have actually called 911! Hope everyone is ok!

O SHIT, SOUNDS PRETTY NUTS, DID YOU STOP??
(SRY CAPS, LOL)

I stopped pulled off exit 7 westbound (opposite side), pulled over and called 911. I then carried on to work.

:rofl

was hoping for pics, disappointed.

I saw the aftermath but it was already upright. One car was a white G8.

If he had a real diesel and jake brakes that wouldn’t have happened :slight_smile:

newer Dodges do have jake brakes

NO THEY DO FUCKING NOT.

yeah they do. I rode in one with one last year. Maybe its optional but that truck was pretty basic and had one (fleet truck)

IT IS NOT A FUCKING JAKE BRAKE.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_OHWmWKP4[/ame]

Doesn’t that FUCKING say EXHAUST BRAKE right in the fucking title PJB?

A real “jake brake” is an engine retarder.

Although technically speaking…an exhaust brake is a type of jake brake… It really is not at all.

"
The term “Jake brake” comes from a Jacobs Engine brake, or engine retarder. It works when exhaust valves in the cylinder head open, releasing the compressed air that is trapped by the head and slows the truck down. When the accelerator is released on the truck, its forward momentum continues to turn the Diesel engine’s crankshaft. That intern compresses air in the cylinder.
"

an exhaust brake is NOT a type of jake brake. A jake brake is a god damn compression brake.

Not even in the same fucking ballpark. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

I do agree with you. But many MANY resources consider an exhaust brake a type of Jake brake.

I do not.

EDIT: After browsing Jacobs website…they do not consider an exhaust brake to be in the same category as a “Jake brake”.

Yeah that’s a damn throttle butterfly in the middle of the exhaust pipe, which honestly I’d feel would be bad for the turbo in some way, or possibly some other component.

“Jake brake” = electro-mechanical thingamabobbers actually HOLDING exhaust and/or intake valves open (can never remember exactly) at the right times so that pistons make maximum pumping loss, slowing everything way down. I think it opens everything just before compression happens, so all that pent up energy just dissipates instantly.

Don’t others make engine compression brakes? On Jacobs’ site I know it says “jake brake” is a misnomer because that type of system doesnt have to be Jacobs Vehicle Systems-made. And they manufacture other products as well.

I anxiously await the day someone starts churning out consumer diesel engine heads with this shit. If I get motivated someday, I’ll goddamn design something myself for my 7.3. Fuck I’m an RPI alum I gotta have some kinda access to the machine tools there LOL

I thought they were the same thing

YEAH WELL YOU THOUGHT FUCKING WRONG DIDN’T YOU JPB

FFS