Justin installed new ALternator... NEED HELP

To make it easier, I’m just copying and pasting from a BMW forum.

OK so it seemed like the installation went well. The only pain in the ass was replacing the AC belt. But that was something I did just because it was cracking.

But ok I’ll run through everything that was done.

Both belts were replaced, all the alternator cooling plastic was replaced, the alternator was replaced with a Bosh rebuilt.

The fan obviously was removed as well in the process. I also took off the plastic covers for the engine to clean those up.

One thing that I will be looking at separately is the power steering. I noticed that the reservoir for it was low when I checked. My car has been sitting for about a month and a half. So I topped off the power steering fluid.

Now after everything was put back together and I started the car. It started right up. BUT it makes this strange whistling noise. It seems to be coming from the alt, but I’m thinking it could be the power steering if the fluid was low it might have something causing that.

Now does the alt just need to be broken in and this isn’t a problem… or is there something wrong with it?

Any help would be awesome.

Whoops, typoed the title…

Too small of a belt?

Didn’t seem to be that much tighter from the one I took off.

did you compare them before installing