Last question regarding my alt!!

Well, everything is working for those who are following the posts I’ve made regarding my alternator, however what’s weird is that in order to get the alternator to start charging, I have to rev to about 3k RPM’s.

Is this normal, or at least ok? Does it signify a problem?

Thanks for the help.

Josh

There is a problem with it. Get it rebuilt.

^^x2 It shouldn’t cost much more than $50 or so.

Where are you getting them rebuilt Pete? I had mine done for $120…and that was the cheapest.

And he had the alternator tested, and it was charging fine.

Yeah, holds at 13.5 - 13.8 under load (blower, lights, etc) and sits at 14 after the car is driven for a bit.

I’m just worried that the fact I need to rev to 2.5k (exactly 2.5) might mean I’ll get stuck on the road again. I know I need a new/rebuilt alternator eventually, but I want to know if this is something I don’t need to REALLY worry about.

Thanks for the replys btw.

while the car is running @ idle test your 12 volt at your two wire plug on the alt there should be at least 12 volts at both, one wire goes to you bat light in the dash and the other feeds 12 volts to the alt to tell it to charge, and inspect those too you could have a break in the wire or green death in one spot

Martino, I get mine done up here lol… It’s just a little repair shop run by some korean guy and his son. I’ve had about half a dozen alternators rebuilt by those guys and they do an awesome job. $50 and it comes back looking new in the box.

Small shops like that are your best bet over like Autozone or whatever…

I just thought of something too… Is your belt tight and not worn? Generally if the alt is good and it’s not charging until way up in the RPM band, the belt is loose or shot.

well i had crappy tire replace my alternator belt so I’m sure thats not the problem, though the old belt was mangled beyond belief lol

my battery light doesnt work, btw. wtb ted? hehe

and regarding charging way up in the rpm band, its not that it ONLY charges there, i just need to rev it to 2.5 ONCE and then it charges strong regardless of what RPM.

its like i need to rev it to make the alt initialize. i dont mind doing this until i get it rebuilt, but I want to know if its okay or if people know how to fix it…

no its not okay… get it rebuilt, my alternater was doing that and its was ok for a while then on the fucking coldest night of the YEARRR it gave out on me and left me stranded for like 2 hours fucking freezing my ass off in like -30 something.

get it rebuilt.

mine did that, in the s12, it was loose wires lol after i fixed that it worked perfectly forever, i seriously doubt the alternator it self is responsible for that