Sex and Squealing!

Well now that I have your undivided attention, I’ll break the news to you. There’s no sex, but there is squealing!

Every so often I was getting this squealing coming from what sounded like the alternator-ish area of the engine bay. You know, the excessive annoying squealing when your alternator is bust or water pump is shitting a brick.

However, it’s a brand new rebuilt alternator, brand new belt, and it doesn’t seem to be losing charge (sits at a nice comfortable 14.4v). It only happens when I hit the brake between 1 and 1.5k RPM (like when I throw it in neutral at a light) and goes away between 2 and 2.5k.

Any ideas? It’s embarrassing, annoying, and I don’t feel like dying on the side of the road. Let me know if any other things need to be added for information.

Thanks, and sorry for the lack of sex.

P.S: I remembered, the alternator is not loose, and did not seem excessively hot. Just seemed like a normal, working alternator.

when did you change the belt?

chances are its stretched a bit, re-tighten it.

Less than a month ago. I don’t think it’s too tight. It’s tight, but it’s still got that little bit of slack.

yeah, since its a manual adjuster its usually a good idea to re-check it after a few weeks. I put new belts on my car and it was fine until the weather got chilly, then it just squealed like a whore until I re-tightened.

Alright I’ll give that a shot in the morning and update once I do.