k04-015 = TD-06 20G?? v.1.8t replacement

I was replacing some parts on my audi 1.8t when i discovered that my stock k03 has some less-than-comfortable shaft play.
Naturally I started pricing out k04 turbos to replace it.

A quick search on ebay shows this from the uk. It shows the 3-bolt flange and claims direct replacement for 1.8t. Visually it looks correct from the provided photos… and they seem to have a lot of them. It comes to just under $400 including shipping for a brand new turbo… :eekdance:

here’s the link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-K04-015-Turbo-charger-Audi-A4-A6-VW-PASSAT-1-8t-K04_W0QQitemZ250416928804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item250416928804&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Now, the td-06 20g looks to have a wide variety of applications… i’m just a little confused as to what is being sold here…

any input would be wonderful.

looks like it would fit…
i bet its just a “non capa certified ko4” lol (with a array of apps)
but i bet it would work fine

im almost positive that the long 18t turbo mani is different from the tranny18t mani…

call to verify!

good price

That’s kind of what I’m thinking, that it’s just an off-brand… I sent a message to the seller requesting more tech specific details on the turbo itself, hopefully they reply. I don’t really want to be calling abroad haha…

it certainly is a good price, IF it’s legit for my application

I hope u snag it and then post up results- I wanna go K04 this summer and obviously, the cheaper the better!

Looks like a SSAC turbo. Id stay away…

care to elaborate?

here you go. look at one of its awesome manifolds…http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-B16-B18-B16A-T4-TOP-MOUNT-TURBO-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ250424646065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a4e78d9b1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30

that company is garbage!!! stay away. they make all the knock off stuff.

It’s a Chinese made turbo. Some people have had good luck with them, and others have not. Some meat heads would have blown their shit up no matter what brand of turbo it was, and then there are a whole bunch of people that have never used them, but still hate.

I’ve been finding some info from other forums that pretty much say the same thing… seems like that for every 1 person who talks about horror stories they’ve “heard” about from them, 5 people chime in saying they’ve been personally running one for 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, with no problems.

Maybe they are just bad if attempting to push them to their limits, but are otherwise stable?

I just received an email back from them… i asked:

Dear xs-power,

I’m interested in this turbo. You have it advertised in the title as a k04-015, then in the description as TD-06 20G, so which is it exactly? Could you provide more tech-specific info to me before I purchase?
Again, i am very interested, I just want to make sure that this is the turbo I need before making an overseas purchase.
Thank you,
Scott

they replied:

Dear Scott,

Oh i am sorry this was a mistake, its a k04 015 NOT a td06

sorry my mistake

• xs-power

hmm.

well, I think most of the time the issue comes from the compressor housing, which is known to split apart since it is made in 2 pieces.

It’s a gamble.

From X-S Power? Definitely a cheap knock-off

Seriously, Just buy a used turbo of higher quality. It will likely last longer.

Try Gpopshop.com there are many success stories with they’re turbo’s. They take your core and rebuild it into a ko4 around 375 with port and polishing. They have 1 year warrenty’s on their rebuilds and they balance them aswell. Basically they use the ko4 compressor wheel with the bigger ko3s compressor housing inlet. They also use the turbine wheel from the ko3s (because the turbine housing outlet is a bit bigger than the ko4) and clip it for top end. I’ve heard some decent gains out of this for the money.

Hmm, that looks interesting and convincing. I’ve heard of the k03/k04 modified turbos; the results they yield are on par with an actual k04… nice.

I just sent them an email requesting all the information of what would be involved with this, as well as the final cost. According to the website, it looks to be $500 for this service, but it’s kind of a mess of a site. I’ll post up with the final numbers when they email me back.

Thanks for this info :slight_smile:

That issue was with the old t3/t4, and it happened once. That thread was then cross linked all over the intarwebz.

Most of the described failures sound like a lack of oil at initial start up, or too much oil pressure.

I am in no way saying that one of these turbos in on par with a name brand unit, but they are not as bad as some people would have you believe.

You do NOT want to give xs-power $400 for a turbo…

You can get a REAL k04 that will make 220whp with a warranty here http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/products/BORG_WARNER_K04_015_TURBOCHARGER-37-141.html

Or just get and eliminator turbo that bolts up to your stock mani for around $1100 and MAKE 350 WHP!