KA-T & FMIC/Cooling

For those with a KA turbo AND a FMIC, to what degree have you found the front mount IC to reduce the efficiency of the radiator (assuming stock cooling system, and less than 10 PSI) due to it’s placement? Potential overheats or not really an issue?

Thanks…

I have a FMIC installed and I haven’t had any cooling issues. My AEM EMS says coolant temps are in the 130-150F range and the idiot gauge reads normal.

Chris (canadiandrifter) and I both use the volvo 740 turbo rad/intercooler combo. He on a KA-T, me on a SR.

I ran it (FMIC it sits behind the rad saddle) behind the stock rad, then in front of the larger740 rad. the car actually runs cooler with the FMIC in front of the rad (740), but this is probably due to the fact that the 740 rad is like 3X thicker than our stock rad.

your think of the chuki bumper people with the large FMIC in the air duct?

Yeah, because logically all air entering the rad will be blocked by the new incoming intercooler. Well, maybe not blocked per say, but I figure the rad would see less fresh, ambient, cooler air because the FMIC would “hog” it first, and somewhat block the path (probably heat it a bit too).

I’m just wondering if the stock rad can handle this no problem or if it actually puts a strain on the stock cooling system to the point of a potential overheat situation, know what I mean?

I asked Marc from IAP (big KA turbo kit guys) and apparently this has never given any of their customers an issue (they include large FMICs).

why does it matter if you have a KA or a SR with a fmic…

this was a popular topic 2 years ago when sr swaps were becomming popular do some searches

:?

He just wants to know if the placement of the FMIC infront of the rad increases temperature enough to warrent upgrading to a performance rad.

It’s fine on my setup… but I don’t have an s13.

I was over heating when drifting on skid pad last year. Thats when i had the saab IC. But that was the only time.

It should be fine.

I currently run the stock rad with fmic on an sr but like scott said, i do not see the difference between sr and ka cooling.

Just watch your temp when you are in traffic on a hot day, and when you are beating on the car.

A good electric fan will help in cooling the engine bay too.

I have a Small Megan IC and its infront of my stock KA rad

Rad is in almost new condition so its working properly… I run 1 electric fan which is on as long as the car is running.

Temp is fine… wont over heat and has not over heated or even got warm/past the middle “sits right under the 3rd mark” I can even drive around without my fan on if I want but if I let the car idle longer then 3 or 4 mins she’ll start getting warm.

I just started today to modify and put back all the rad/fan ducting etc… and am working on a setup to box in my cooler and route air in around it and from other areas to the rad which I want to box in somewhat so that air gets forced to it and throu it.

Thanks for all the input…

I just said KA-T to be more specific…silly me…of course it could be SR… :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe i’ll just go this route until getting a Koyo rad to offset some of the extra heat.

run a nice water/coolent mix for the summer and put in water wetter and get a nice fan and you will be 100% fine aslong as you arent going lapping or somthing for hours.

Not really, SR’s have tiny water pump’s and over heat like no tomorow even with a huge Koyo Rad.