To Verticize my FMIC

Intelligent answers only please

obviously i didnt have too many problems with it horizontal last year… another person made their FMIC work vertical with the same pipes. would it be that much more beneficial to me to mount it upright? i’ve pondered the airflow dynamics with this situation many times, wondering about some input from you physics guys

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93465

vs

ususally people put the intercooler on an angle so that the radiator isn’t being deprived from air. You would be better off trying to have a “V” mount setup where both the surface of the IC and the radiator are getting direct air. Take a look at Jay’s RX7…it’s a great setup.:tup:

well another thing to consider is…

in the stock setup, the radiator only got air from the Air Dam. the bumper was solid, ie, the grille was solid. i opened up the grille for my last upright FMIC. Rad still got its normal airflow from the air dam.

NOW, i have the fmic horizontal. it pretty much butts up right to the air dam. so, in order for the rad to get that air, it must first pass through the FMIC. BUT, it is also recieveing direct air coming through the front bumper which i opened up, which it wouldn’t have under stock conditions

Hmm…no doubt that opening the front grill is better, but I ran into issues with my stealth when I had the FMIC in front of the Radiator. Have you upgraded the stock radiator? That would be a big plus.

heres a couple pics of jays set up
For his setup the air hits the radiator and then is aimed upwards to the IC. Not sure if you could pull that off or not…

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/adictd2b00st2/enginebay.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/adictd2b00st2/jay_rx7.jpg

interesting… but no i dont think i could pull that off. thanks though.

i have a stock replacement for now…(one i pulled out has a bit of oil mess in it, oops) havent had any overheating problems… but i do plan on getting a custom 3" next winter that mounts straight up and down so i can fit a larger DP behind it. (the stock ones mount diagonal…

anyways, the reason i bring this up is because the other guy did it retaining his same cold pipes. it wasnt an issue at all last year, so im not willing to change my pipes around at all when they werent a problem…

is putting ur IC horizontal supposed to help with radiator flow(since ur not blocking it) or IC flow?

if its for radiator flow, i wouldnt change it unless ur running into problems overheating.

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:7,topic:27829"”]

is putting ur IC horizontal supposed to help with radiator flow(since ur not blocking it) or IC flow?

if its for radiator flow, i wouldnt change it unless ur running into problems overheating.

[/quote]

its because of packaging. the radiator gets its air from underneath our cars, not from the front

I wouldn’t want the IC horizontal between the the airdam and the hole in the grille. You’ll have opposing pressure on both sides of the IC which will cut the flow through the IC down. I’d say you’d have to do the horizontal mount one of two ways:

1. Air dam and grill closed so air goes through ic then radiator. This should work ok if the engine doesn’t overheat with the ic in front of the rad in the vertical position.

or

1. Leave the grill open and have an air dam or splitter IN FRONT OF the ic, i.e. near the leading edge of the grill. This way the air will come in through the opening in the grille and get sucked through the rad by the fan and [in theory] get pulled downward through the IC by the low pressure area created in the wake of the air dam.

As stated previously if you aren’t overheating in the current config I would leave it.

This may be one of the situations where you have to actually go out and datalog before and after, and see if you can pull it off. There are so many factors to play here, I bet it has more to do with the aerodynamics of the car, and where air comes in/exits, then people’s opinions at this point.

Either way, best of luck!

-mark

ok, so i am semi-confused. is the tope picture the way yours is? or the bottom? and the opposite picture is obviously what your reffering to possibly switching to?